Author Topic: Place in Halifax  (Read 919 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Place in Halifax
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 02:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it's Hipholm?

This is a bit clearer

There are a few references to Hip- Hipp -or Hipper finishing in Holm or Holme in Halifax if you google the different spellings. (16th/17th century spelling of)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline JoolsAnn123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It's definitely Hipperholme, I have found some later family members there with clear baptism entries
Bell: Dumfriesshire
Drewell: London
Dyson: London/Leeds
Hooker: London
Hyslop: Ayrshire
Lodge: Middlesex
Manson: Ayrshire
Palmer: Dumfriesshire
Pittuck: Suffolk
Quarm: Devon
Rumble/Rumbold: Wiltshire
Stockwell: London

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 May 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
There are a few references to Hip- Hipp -or Hipper finishing in Holm or Holme in Halifax if you google the different spellings. (16th/17th century spelling of)

By searching for "Hipholm" and Halifax I found a few of these, but of the four I looked into, three were not an accurate representation of the original.

In two cases the original PR has the modified 'p' with a loop through the stem. This was reproduced in printed transcripts as a 'p' with a simple line through the stem, but in indexing these Google has failed to distinguish between that and an ordinary 'p' and shows it as 'Hipholm'.

In the third case the transcript has 'Hipholm', but the original register has Hiprholm (with superscript 'r'); superscript letters usually indicate a degree of contraction, and there's clearly an 'r' there.

In the fourth case a printed transcript does have 'Hipholme', but I haven't been able to see the original. I can't prove it, but I strongly suspect this is a consequence of (a) a faded original which was transcribed 'as seen'; (b) a typesetter's mistake; or (c) a lack of a crossed 'p' in the typeface used. A single example from a secondary source doesn't prove much against the weight of other evidence.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 May 21 04:22 BST (UK) »
I must admit! I'm a little puzzled where the 'er' came from ? Hip-holm to Hipp-er-holme. ?
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 May 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd explained this in Reply #11. It's not that the 'er' came from anywhere: all the original sources that I have managed to find include the 'er' either in full or by means of abbreviation or modified letters. However, certain transcriptions or OCR attempts to reproduce a modified 'p' have made it disappear; but as your signature says, any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.

You can find references to the forms of the place name in Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion:

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/mmh184.html

See also J. Horsfall Turner's History of Brighouse, Rastrick and Hipperholme:

https://archive.org/details/historyofbrighou00turn

From this, note in particular the form Huperun in the Domesday Survey - at the start of the 4th line from the bottom of the top section reproduced here:

https://archive.org/details/historyofbrighou00turn/page/n9/mode/2up

Also the forms Hiprom or Hiperom in a document from 1272 or 1307 (the last section on the LH page):

https://archive.org/details/historyofbrighou00turn/page/46/mode/2up

So the real puzzle is why anyone should think it might be Hipholm.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 May 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi arthurk ,

The interpretation of the origins of Hipperholme spelling from different original sources like parish registers, other mediums depended on persons local knowledge who enters an event in the register or slang of local folk if any were able to read or write and that persons education (Like an Oxford educated vicar! say a hill farmers Yorkshire dialect slang of the village name and the vicar interpretation of the hill farmers verbal name of the village may have differed )

There is one (Taken from the search page results text only [Not the website]) as Hip'holme