Author Topic: Names not yet known, WW2 -ish  (Read 861 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Names not yet known, WW2 -ish
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 May 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think it maybe later than WW2, my reason is the uniform is more in keeping with national service mentality, everything had to be just so, like creases in the trousers, shinny boots etc, its possible the man made a special effort for his wedding but in war time ? The brides wedding dress seems more later as materials were more utility in the war !! but again it could have been a pass down the family in war time like a mothers/grans wedding dress. 1948-1953 would be my guess ?.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 May 21 10:04 BST (UK) »
I'm inclined to think it maybe later than WW2, my reason is the uniform is more in keeping with national service mentality, everything had to be just so, like creases in the trousers, shinny boots etc, its possible the man made a special effort for his wedding but in war time ? The brides wedding dress seems more later as materials were more utility in the war !! but again it could have been a pass down the family in war time like a mothers/grans wedding dress. 1948-1953 would be my guess ?.

Thank you for looking dobfarm.
That makes sense, will pass that info along, I'm sure it will help.

Boo

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 May 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
I do hope you find out who these people are, it would be nice to give them a name.  Thr groom is wearing the 1940 style austerity uniform, which was worn for many years.  The uniform blouse had flat pockets, exposed buttons and the turn back to the collar was a different material.. It had an attached belt with a buckle, but when in parade mode, as we see it, a webbing belt was added. In 1949 the collar was widened and all troops now wore a collared shirt and tie as the groom is wearing. I think this makes the wedding afer 1949, so hope this helps.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 May 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
I do hope you find out who these people are, it would be nice to give them a name.  Thr groom is wearing the 1940 style austerity uniform, which was worn for many years.  The uniform blouse had flat pockets, exposed buttons and the turn back to the collar was a different material.. It had an attached belt with a buckle, but when in parade mode, as we see it, a webbing belt was added. In 1949 the collar was widened and all troops now wore a collared shirt and tie as the groom is wearing. I think this makes the wedding afer 1949, so hope this helps.

Thanks Trish, for the restore and the info  - have noted that.
(each time I come in here the list of stuff I know nowt about seems to get longer!)

If they do find out who the folk are I'll update, but the search has been consigned to the back burner as her other half has had a heart attack and is really very ill. Caring for the living takes precedence at the mo.

Boo

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 May 21 04:33 BST (UK) »
Just one last thing ! By the pictures none descript (Not a nice church scene and not much time spent on picking the poor location for the picture of the couple ?? ) setting, Register office springs to mind and could help reducing the search to just register office weddings.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 May 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Just one last thing ! By the pictures none descript (Not a nice church scene and not much time spent on picking the poor location for the picture of the couple ?? ) setting, Register office springs to mind and could help reducing the search to just register office weddings.

Thanks again dobfarm, looking at it I get the feeling it wasn't an 'official' photo but perhaps taken by a guest, but have noted your post as something to bear in mind.

Boo