Author Topic: 1871 Toynton/Borridge  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Maysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Toynton/Borridge
« on: Monday 29 August 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
Looking for James Walter Toynton, age about 13 on the 1871 census, born Toynton St Peter.
also Mary Rebecca Borridge (Burridge) age about 13 on the 1871 census, born Stickford.

Any help please,
Maysie

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Toynton/Borridge
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

She was the only one that came up...

Mary R Borridge, Servant, 14, Gen Servant Domestic, Sibsey Lincs

Working for John Maddison, Baker & Beerseller at Turnpike (White Hart B??shop), Sibsey.

(Mary was an addition and she's written between two other entries)

RG10/3338 Pg 17

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
James Walter, Servant, 15, Farm Servant, Toynton

Working for Richard Lilley, Farmer at Spilsby Road, Leake, Lincs

RG10/3336 Pg 16

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:16 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you've got 1861, but if not, here they are:

Fenside, Toynton St Peter

Charles Toynton, Head, 33, Ag Lab, Toynton
Charlotte Toynton, Wife, 31, Woreal?
Rhoda Toynton, Daughter, 7, Scholar, Toynton
James W Toynton, Son, 5, Scholar, Toynton
Hillary? A Toynton, Daughter, 1, Toynton

RG09/2374 Pg9

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:21 BST (UK) »
Can't find Mary!!!

Regards, Emma ;)

Offline Maysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emma

That's really great!

Angela

Offline YORKWAIT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 April 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Maysie,

I just found your 2005 string about James Walter Toynton and family. I wonder how you've been getting on?

I was named after him - my great grandfather - and we have a picture of him (family tradition, not evidence) operating a predecessor of the combine harvester. Standing by him is a lady who might be (?) Mary Burridge. I'll scan it when the wretched machine decides to behave or I buy another.

Best wishes,

James

Offline Maysie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi James

The Toynton family is rather large, so it's ongoing!
I have 11 children off James Walter and Mary Rebecca, and my husband is off George, William Burt died in ww2 and I had a contact from a descendant of Ethel. Who are you descended from? I haven't been able to do much on Mary Rebecca Borridge (Burridge) except that maybe her father is George and mother Elizabeth, and she was born 1856.

It would be very nice to see a photo sometime.

Many thanks,
Angela

Offline YORKWAIT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Angela,

We should establish whether or not we are both looking at the same family. According to my father's notes, our JW Toynton was married to Mary Burrell, b. 1859, I think (do you think your difficulty making progress with her is because you have got stuck on the wrong name?) and it was said they had thirteen children, not all of whom survived to adulthood, but 11 might be about right. I had an awful lot of great aunts and uncles. My grandma was Ellen ('Nellie') Toynton who married Herbert Merryweather of London and, later, Cambridge. One of her sisters was called Ethel ('Et') who also lived in Cambridge.

Does any of this make sense to you or are we barking up different genealogical trees?

Good to hear from you and I hope we can help one another.

I've ordered a new scanner-printer, so can send pictures in a few days if our photos turn out to be relevant to your work.

James