Author Topic: Marriage document requirements in 1918 ?  (Read 530 times)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage document requirements in 1918 ?
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:22 BST (UK) »
HI All, I wonder if any of you know what documents a person would have been obliged to supply to the catholic church in order to get married in 1918? I have recently discovered that my mystery Granddad was not born with the name he gave on his marriage certificate or indeed to the parents he gave, so I am assuming as he was as far as I know an orphan, that he either made up both or used the name of the people who fostered/adopted/or jut raised him, but surely, as the same as today, he would have been required to produce a birth or baptism certificate to the church? anyone got any clue on this please I have spoken to the church office who apart from what I have on him have no other information on him that can help me solve his mystery.
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage document requirements in 1918 ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:40 BST (UK) »
Spoiler alert - my reply will not answer your question!

There may well be some truth among the fiction:
If he is on the 1939 register -his birth date might be accurate.
On the marriage cert the forename and occupation of his father may be true.
When the 1921 Census is available - what was his birthplace? (the county may be true if not the town)
What names did he give his children (especially daughters)?
Are there any family legends naming his siblings?

I searched for my great-grandfather for over 20 years and Rootschatters found him!  He had changed his name after deserting from the Royal Navy in 1901.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, no evidence of identity was required.

And, under the laws of England and Wales, a person can call themselves anything they choose; just as long as there was no intention to deceive or defraud.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:55 BST (UK) »

And, under the laws of England and Wales, a person can call themselves anything they choose; just as long as there was no intention to deceive or defraud.

My gut feeling is the same.  I have just asked my oldest surviving Catholic relative now 97 who said that when she married in the 1940s she (a Protestant) was asked to provide evidence or a declaration of Christian baptism but her Catholic husband was not.  The same happened to me in the 1980s.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:56 BST (UK) »
sorry all I should have said I am in Ireland and his name being so common means there are lots of them in the given years for him but none with the names he gave, my DNA shows me a totally different set of Great grandparents to the names he gave on his marriage record
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:57 BST (UK) »

I thought that might be the case as otherwise how would he have got away with the huge fibs lol thank you

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 May 21 12:58 BST (UK) »

My gut feeling is the same.  I have just asked my oldest surviving Catholic relative now 97 who said that when she married in the 1940s she (a Protestant) was asked to provide evidence or a declaration of Christian baptism but her Catholic husband was not.  The same happened to me in the 1980s.

Philip
its super frustrating isnt it I am in the position that all of his children are gone now so no one to ask if he ever imparted any more information about himself that I have passed down through my own Dad which was practically nothing

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 May 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
Even today you don't have to produce a birth certificate when giving notice to marry. You do have to provide evidence of your identity, but that can be done with a number of things - a passport is often used.

If he was marrying in a Catholic Church he might have been asked to provide a baptism certificate to the priest, but that's not a legal requirement.

He was free to marry in whatever name he was using or known by at the time of the marriage - no need for it to be the one he was given at birth.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
Looks like you need to follow a paper trail from your known DNA ancestors. Do give us the names of you want help with that.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON