Author Topic: Seaching PRs and came across these symbols  (Read 1597 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seaching PRs and came across these symbols
« on: Thursday 20 May 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
What do they mean? I've never come across this before. My search was for parish register records for Scatchard in Adel in 1702. The PR is for Adel 1702, and the full image is on Ancestry. FindMyPast has a different image, very unclear, and no abode mentioned. What is the column heading? I get "Woo?" but can't make out the final letter. Ancestry and FindMyPast have different images, which is a nuisance as I'm trying to verify transcriptions on GENUKI. Which one is the PR and which the BT?
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Seaching PRs and came across these symbols
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 May 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
I think the heading is 'Week' and indicates the weekday of the date in question.  The dot in circle ones will be Sundays - they are all a multiple of 7 apart.  The symbols are reminiscent of signs for the planets.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 21 00:44 BST (UK) »
See https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Week_Day_Symbols

albeit there are other variations too.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 May 21 06:13 BST (UK) »
Ancestry and FindMyPast have different images, which is a nuisance as I'm trying to verify transcriptions on GENUKI. Which one is the PR and which the BT?

I replicated the search on both sites and came up with a John Scatchard, father Simeon, baptised 1702 in Adel.
Looking at the transcriptions, which give the citation for the record source, shows that the Find My Past one came from the Borthwick Institute's holdings of BTs and the Ancestry one came from West Yorkshire Archives and gives their catalogue ref of RPD2 - the West Yorkshire Archives catalogue  indicates that they are the PRs.

Boo

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 May 21 07:39 BST (UK) »
What do they mean? I've never come across this before. My search was for parish register records for Scatchard in Adel in 1702. The PR is for Adel 1702, and the full image is on Ancestry. FindMyPast has a different image, very unclear, and no abode mentioned. What is the column heading? I get "Woo?" but can't make out the final letter. Ancestry and FindMyPast have different images, which is a nuisance as I'm trying to verify transcriptions on GENUKI. Which one is the PR and which the BT?

The problem is the symbols do not always match the days of the week the dates pertain to.
For example March the 30th was a Thursday not a Sunday, the 6th of April in 1702 was also a Thursday, not a Sunday the symbol refers to.
The 16th was a Sunday but the symbol claims it to be a Friday, however the 30th is a Sunday which coincides with the symbol.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 May 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
The more I look at these early Parish Registers (they are the registers not the transcripts) I feel the symbol column is indicating the moon phase which seems very odd for a Christian register to show.
The register entries with symbols run from 1688 until 1703 when the vicar or cleric entering the register was changed and the entries stopped though the column remained until 1708.
Perhaps the vicar had an interest in Astrology, I know the Catholic Church condemns it but did the Church of England?
It seems very strange to see such symbols in an Anglican register.

Cheers
Guy
PS Find My Past seem to be using a mixture of Bishops Transcripts and third party transcripts from a folder claiming the originals were being repaired.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
The problem is the symbols do not always match the days of the week the dates pertain to.
For example March the 30th was a Thursday not a Sunday, the 6th of April in 1702 was also a Thursday, not a Sunday the symbol refers to.
The 16th was a Sunday but the symbol claims it to be a Friday, however the 30th is a Sunday which coincides with the symbol.

Your hypothesis may well be right, Guy, but your last point about April 16th and 30th is not, as they both show the same symbol (as they should).
Perhaps we should try to interpret the column heading starting W..  The two characters following resemble the 'e' in June.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry Andrew my reply was not clear, I think I even confused myself, perhaps if I try again.  ;)

Baptism Register for months in 1702.

March 30 :  Thursday, symbol shown Sonntag (Sunday) incorrect if denoting day ot the week
April 6  :     Thursday, symbol shown Sonntag (Sunday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
April 16 :    Sunday, symbol shown Mittwoch (Friday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
April 30 :    Sunday, symbol shown Mittwoch (Friday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
May 11  :    Thursday, symbol shown Sonntag (Sunday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
May 29  :    Monday, symbol shown Mittwoch (Friday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
June 14  :    Wednesday, symbol shown Donnerstag  (Thursday)  incorrect if denoting day of the week
June 22  :    Thursday, symbol shown Sonntag (Sunday) incorrect if denoting day of the week
July 8     :    Saturday,  symbol shown shown Mittwoch (Friday) incorrect if denoting day of the week.

Cheers
Guy

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 May 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Mittwoch is Wednesday!
Friday would be Freitag.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)