Author Topic: Seeking help regarding Robert Turnbull  (Read 1143 times)

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help regarding Robert Turnbull
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 May 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
There is a group of Turnbull gravestones at Kirklinton which sound like your family. The one for Robert Turnbull who died in 1859 aged 73 has this on the back:
Farewell dear wife and children ten
I was your guardian from childhood to men
Now when you on this grass do tread
I warn you all for to take heed
To be kind to her that was my pride
Till she is laid down by my side.

It only mentions one wife Mary, but there is another gravestone next to this for a Robert Turnbull born about 1805, also married to a Mary.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 May 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
the obituary for Robert Turnbull died in 1859 at Kirklinton mentions 10 sons (no daughters)
August 13th 1859 Carlisle Patriot
On the 3rd inst at Breckonhillrigg in the parish of Kirklinton, in the 74th year of his age, Robert Turnbull, farmer, who resided in this district during the whole of his life. He was respected by every one who knew him. His remains were followed to the grave by his widow and ten sons, and a great number of other relatives, also by his landlord (Joseph Dacre Esq, Kirklinton Hall) and nearly all the yeomanry, farmers, and a large circle of friends. The funeral ceremony was performed by the Rev George Bell, rector.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 21 02:18 BST (UK) »
robbiesmum: thank you for that information, particularly the gravestone inscription.

His wife Mary Robson/Robinson died some ten years later.

Your mention of another Robert Turnbull, married to a Mary, is where I got thoroughly tangled early in my family history journey.

AC