Author Topic: Sixpence  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sixpence
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry I dont know about the others as they would each have a separate Indictment, our man was Joseph Collins Hatter of Hollinwood, so he had travelled from Oldham to protest. I think that 6d seems lenient for those times. 

His offence may simply being present with the mob. He might not have actually done anything.
Newspaper "Manchester Mercury" began publication 1752. Published under various titles, "Harrop's Manchester Mercury & General Advertiser", "The Manchester Mercury & Harrop's General Advertiser". Harrop was a staunch Tory and anti-reformer. Available online in the British Newspaper Archive and Manchester City Council Reference Library.

Another food riot began at the market at Studehill, April 1812, "Studehill Potato Riot".
Cowban

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sixpence
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
I see that November 12 was a Saturday, I can imagine him having a few gills and setting off to join in, probably with a few more? In 1769 he became the first clerk of Hollinwood Chapel so it didnt hold him back. The newspaper might be worth a look, Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks