Author Topic: Ancestry DNA / New Confirm Match options  (Read 3179 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA / New Confirm Match options
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 June 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
They seem to be adding it in batches, David.  I only got my notice of it yesterday.
When you go to your DNA section, it will come up as a new facility when they've added it.

Thank you. I will be patient then  ;)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 June 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
I've been blessed with it now and I'm in the 'useless function' camp in terms of an opinion on it. Can't see what it adds and it makes me wonder if Ancestry is trying to set up a rival to DNA Painter and is getting us mugs to populate the source data. I have to say I lost the will to click 'Yes' after the 10th match. Please can we have a chromosome browser, or more coloured dots, or a lower cut-off than 20cM, or anything else vaguely useful?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 June 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just t got it for my account but not my mums or aunts

I must say once ive filled it in i.ll find it useful because although i know what line people are from i usually forget what degree if cousinship they are to me .so it will be nice to see at a glance
+ Compare cm amounts of people with same relationship
Even having my aunt and cousin flag up as such rather than close relations feels more user friendly.

I may start with labelling more of the distant ones
If it helps Ancestry data base help future clients thats a bonus.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
Just appeared this morning. Useful in that when you have added a relationship you get a big green button saying 'View match', so you know you have identified that particular person. But it doesn't allow you to do anything else useful, like clustering and comparing chromosomes. I have more information in the colour coded groupings and notes, and will continue to use them.
Overall though, I wish the developers had spent time on extending the shared match and common ancestors / thrulines functions to lower cM levels. I have many distant cousins whom I have identified myself through records and accurate trees on Ancestry which are not flagged up because Ancestry imposes cut offs on cMs and generations.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Not got yet, but I am with Flemming, - I would prefer all those things rather than what is currently on offer!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
i got the update last night. Must agree with a lot of the comments.I'd been putting the relationship and maternal or paternal anyway.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:02 BST (UK) »
Not being able to add a relationship less than 5th cousin is really annoying, as is having to use 'Distant Relationship' or 'I'm not sure' instead. It should say, 'I do know but you won't let me enter it.'

Is anyone else having an issue where hitting the 'Back' key from a match's page takes you back to the main listing page but right at the top rather than the point at which the match features? I'm getting RSI from all the scrolling.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the new owners have something to do with the shortcomings of the DNA relationship value to the customers.  Would they be breaking any law if they had a programme that maybe had an algorithm that showed family traits such as short lives, diabetes, etc?

On August 6, 2020, The Blackstone Group, which is a private equity firm,  announced plans to acquire the company in a deal valued at $4.7 billion.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
It might be a little early for them to influence this development but it's worth considering for future 'improvements', Rena :)

https://www.blackstone.com/press-releases/article/blackstone-completes-acquisition-of-ancestry-leading-online-family-history-business-for-4-7-billion/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***