Author Topic: Austrian/German. Ing. !!!  (Read 2909 times)

Offline dave1948

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Austrian/German. Ing. !!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
Karen,

Just to say he was Austrian, but i put both Austrian and German to confuse you, lol.  I may not NEED the explanation you gave, but it does help in understanding these little 'quirks' between one country and another.

Regards,  Dave.
Newall, Godfrey, Maskell (Essex)
Hugill, (Yorkshire)
McCutcheon, Maclachlin(Ayrshire)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
I was surprised to see Karen explain Abitur as a "type of technical secondary school".
Surely in Austria, as in Germany, it's the school leaving certificate -- more or less equivalent to our A Level ?
But perhaps the explanation was intended for HTL (which I have to admit I'd never heard of).

The late Prof. Fritz Bauer of the TU München preferred to call it Munich Institute of Technology, I suppose by analogy with MIT.  And when it was just a technische Hochschule it was Munich Polytechnic.
More useless information!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 May 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
But perhaps the explanation was intended for HTL (which I have to admit I'd never heard of).

Yes, that's right.

There are two school leaving certificates:
"mittlere Reife",  equivalent (more or less) to O-levels and
"Abitur",  which is - as you say - "more or less equivalent to our A Level"

As in Britain, if you leave school with "Mittlere Reife"/O-Levels, you can't go to University, but you can go to technical colleges, and get your Abitur there. 

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 05:54 BST (UK) »
I now see that the Austrian equivalent of Abitur is called Matura.
In my mind I was equating Matura and mittlere Reife -- but etymology is not always a reliable guide.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds