Author Topic: Looking for relatives of Benjamin Williams born in Plymouth in 1840ish  (Read 524 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
This is quite the long shot, but I'm looking for relatives of a Benjamin Williams who was born in Plymouth, Devon in approximately 1840.

At some point in his life, he moved up to Durham. He was living there in 1891, 1901 and 1911. He appears to have been married but widowed before 1891. I am not certain if he ever had children.

I'm trying to find out if he may have been the father of an illegitimate child I am descended from and would like to compare DNA to see if there is a match.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for relatives of Benjamin Williams born in Plymouth in 1840ish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 May 21 15:57 BST (UK) »
I couldn't locate a birth or baptism for a Benjamin WILLIAMS ca 1840 in Devon, let alone Plymouth.

There is a marriage for a Benjamin WILLLIAMS in 1869 to a wonderfully named Claremont GIDDY. This took place at Stoke Damerel - one of the '3 towns' of the Plymouth area. He was said to be 29 and an engineer with his father Thomas WILLIAMS a miller. However, Claremont lived until 1907.

The couple were shown in 1871 living in Stoke Damerel with Benjamin's birthplace quoted as Menheniot, Cornwall. They had a son, Sidney aged 6 months. By 1881 they were living in Greenwich, London. They were still there in 1901 and 1911 so I think you can rule out this Benjamin as yours.

Sorry not to be more helpful.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates