Author Topic: Brick wall - opinions please  (Read 1387 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall - opinions please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 17:16 BST (UK) »
I am just pointing to similarities with Christopher's [ADDED: marriage] witness & sister in the censuses with mother Sarah, I'm not saying anything is definite....

There is this baptism
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QP4M-73BK
Event Type   Baptism
Name   John Christopher Ghent
Baptism Date   26 Dec 1831
Baptism Place   Shepshed, Leicestershire, England,
Religion   Anglican
Father's Name   Robert
Mother's Name   Sarah

This is probably Catherine's death
Deaths Sep 1866 
BARNES    Catherine    28    Ashby Z.    7a   55

And Robert & Sarah's marriage
Name:   Sarah Allwood
Marriage Date:   27 Dec 1819
Marriage Place:   Shepshed,Leicester,England
Spouse:   Robert Gent
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry Josey yes I now see what you’re saying Cathrine Gent was a witness at Christopher’s wedding to Hannah and in 1841 Christopher born in Diseworth had a sister Cathrine.  Sorry I’ve tied myself up in knots over this today !!!!!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
Worth trying to find Catherine's baptism, mother known to be Sarah.

ADDED: Not relevant but there is an entry for a Sarah Gent in 1820  ::)
Name:   Sarah Gent
Date of Trial:   Jul 1820
Location of Trial:   Leicestershire, England
Sentence:   Acquittal [accusation was larceny]
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 21:11 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census records where people are on census night (6 June). The only information given about place of birth is whether they were born in the county where they are on that date, or not.

So in 1841 Christopher is in Diseworth, and is recorded as having been born in Leicestershire. We don't know what would have been named as his place of birth.

In 1851 he doesn't appear to be living with family. Perhaps he wasn't sure where he was born, and there was no one around to ask at the time. Or perhaps he was sure that it was Diseworth, because he had grown up there, and didn't know any different.

It isn't unusual to find people naming different birthplaces in different censuses, but generally the places they name aren't far from one another.

The birth certificate you mention is a baptism record, which doesn't necessarily show place of birth, only where the family are living at  the time the child is baptised.  The  place where the family live is given as Shepshed, but perhaps Christopher was born at Diseworth, and the Gents have moved since then - or maybe Sarah went to her mother's house in Diseworth to have the baby, but didn't actually live there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you that’s some interesting points to think about. You’re  quite right in 1841 it says place of birth Leicestershire whilst the family are actually living in Diseworth.  In 1851 he is living as an apprentice in whitwick with another family (his employer) he was alone so that could explain why he said Diseworth for his place of birth as that’s where he grew up.    I have managed to find him living in Shepshed again aged 59 in his sons house at the time of that census this time he lists his birth place as Shepshed. 

I think with all the evidence and suggestions people have kindly made it seems highly likely that they are all the same Christopher Gent.  maybe 🤦🏻‍♀️😂.  Thanks for all your help and knowledge everyone