Author Topic: Census remarks  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Shrop63

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census remarks
« on: Friday 28 May 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
Been browsing an 1821 census, and fascinating but odd to see such things as "bastard" "idiot" or "husband gone in madhouse"!
Parton
Poole
Clare
Jones
Ellis

Vaughan
Watkiss

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census remarks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
You may also be fascinated by this transcript of the 1816 census of Rothbury Parish, I certainly was!

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Rothbury/Rothbury1816

Boo

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:14 BST (UK) »
"Bastard" was a description of an illegitimate child.
"Idiot" was a person of low intelligence.

I don't see the problem?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
"Bastard" was a description of an illegitimate child.
"Idiot" was a person of low intelligence.

I don't see the problem?

I interpreted the original post as saying the poster was fascinated - not that he found a problem understanding the meaning.

I too find it fascinating that what we, from a present day point of view, would see as derogatory terminology was commonplace and acceptable way back then.
Its part and parcel of finding out about the past and how different it sometimes was to what we have experienced.

Boo

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
Boo - what a fascinating transcript, but I do find it a bit strange in that so much emphasis appears to be placed on the number of bibles and/or prayer books which were in a particular household.  The inhabitants were, obviously, very well educated in 1816.  :-\

As far as "bastard", "idiot" etc were concerned, I think that our ancestors said it as it was.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Boo - what a fascinating transcript, but I do find it a bit strange in that so much emphasis appears to be placed on the number of bibles and/or prayer books which were in a particular household. 

That's because it was a Parish census carried out by the Vicar, Reverend L. V. Vernon Harcourt.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
Whether it was a parish census or not, I was amazed at the number of bibles/prayer books and (on my part) an assumption that therefore the population in 1816 was so literate, and perhaps, had money available to spend on such items.  Ah! perhaps they were given away by the church.  :-\

Apologies if I'm being too flippant.  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Boo - what a fascinating transcript, but I do find it a bit strange in that so much emphasis appears to be placed on the number of bibles and/or prayer books which were in a particular household.  The inhabitants were, obviously, very well educated in 1816.  :-\

As far as "bastard", "idiot" etc were concerned, I think that our ancestors said it as it was.

My understanding is that this was a  'personal census' taken in 1816 by the Reverend
L.V. Vernon Harcourt to record what religious material was in each household within his parish.

As for being well educated, I am unsure, Bibles, Prayer books etc may have been given out by the church, perhaps funded by the local 'gentry' so may have been common - knowing how to read them may have been less common :-)

I've seen a couple of these random parish 'census' or survey, usually done by the Vicar - there was one for Whickham Parish, County Durham in 1835 by the Rev W Gould, which he entitled "Speculum Gregis of Whickham Parish'
He recorded the name of the head of household, whether or not they had a spouse,numbers of children, which school the children went to, where the parents had married, what means of religious instruction were in each home - and some remarks about the members of each household. Again the remarks could be quite scathing, but they are super things to read. and a brilliant insight into the times.
The remark for one of my ancestors was 'drinks often', so there may be something to genetics after all :-)

Boo

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
You may also be fascinated by this transcript of the 1816 census of Rothbury Parish, I certainly was!

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Rothbury/Rothbury1816

Boo

Fascinating, Boo. I was puzzled to find some "Whigs" near the end when there had been none beforehand. Turns out it's probably not a political label but (per Wikipedia) referred to Scottish Covenanters - distinct from the mere Presbyterians though they must have been that too.

Incidentally (Wiki again) the term "idiot" was used for the least mentally able, below "imbecile", itself below "moron". Good that we've (mostly) stopped using such terms.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)