Author Topic: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Nick, I think it's purely a typo but Frances was born 24th December 1932 not 1942. She appears on 1939 war register aged 6 in Staffordshire.

John

Hi John. Many thanks for your feed-back and yes, apologies, you're right. 24th December 1932 she was born and yes, I have a copy of that 1939. Unfortunately we don't have a clue what happened to her after that. :(
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Only 3 gro registered Edward Poyser's between 1916-23. Dont rule out the 31 year old in 1951 newspaper article as he was born 1920?

John

Absolutely right, John, we certainly won't ignore it. And yes, born 27th March 1920. I don't suppose you have the GRO references for those 3 do you please?
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
J Q 1916  Hackney  1b 651 Edward W Poyser mmn Hopkins
MQ 1920 Tamworth 6b 1022 Edward Poyser  mmn Wildgoose
SQ 1923 Chorlton 8c 1330 Edward W Poyser mmn Poyser

Really hope it's the Wildgoose son--what a wonderful surnmae. If so a probable marriage of parents is Richard A Poyser & Ellen Wildgoose JQ 1915 Aston

John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:50 BST (UK) »
Only 3 gro registered Edward Poyser's between 1916-23. Dont rule out the 31 year old in 1951 newspaper article as he was born 1920?

John

Absolutely right, John, we certainly won't ignore it. And yes, born 27th March 1920. I don't suppose you have the GRO references for those 3 do you please?

In case you need to look in the future you can find the references on freebmd or the GRO website

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qn7/

WOW! Thank you ever so much Rosie. Looking at the article, it most definitely IS my friend's father - no doubt about it. Curiously his address is Oddfellow Street *Blackpool* not Manchester and we know that he was a veteran of the Burma Campaign and now we know he was in Blackpool in 1951. We just need now to try to find out what happened next because we know he's 'back' in Blackpool in 1965!

The plot thickens! :)

Thank you so much people.

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
J Q 1916  Hackney  1b 651 Edward W Poyser mmn Hopkins
MQ 1920 Tamworth 6b 1022 Edward Poyser  mmn Wildgoose
SQ 1923 Chorlton 8c 1330 Edward W Poyser mmn Poyser

Really hope it's the Wildgoose son--what a wonderful surnmae. If so a probable marriage of parents is Richard A Poyser & Ellen Wildgoose JQ 1915 Aston

John

Hi John. Many thanks for those. I really appreciate it and will pass those on to my friend. Certainly the middle one is 'our' Edward and the one mentioned in the newspaper article Rosie kindly pointed out to me. Not sure yet about the other two, although they appear at first glance to be one and the same but you're absolutely right about Edward's parents - Richard Alfred Poyser and Ellen Wildgoose. We know about them more than his parents!  ;D

And yes I agree, what a wondeful surname. We thought they'd be quite rare surnames but oh boy were we wrong about that!  ;D

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
John, sorry if this sounds a daft question but what are the JQ, MQ and SQ  before each reference please? And presumably they're all births? It appears at first glance as if both Edward W's are new so I'll pass the information on. Thank you again.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
At the moment, 77 Park Road Blackpool in 1965 is the only address I have at the moment.

Taxis
Phone books of the time
Shergold G.W.G, Taxi, 77 Park rd .....Blackpool

Graham William G Shergold
died March 1999, Blackpool
d-o-b 23 July 1922