Author Topic: Deciphering townships near Northup/Mold, Flintshire, N Wales from 1798 parish re  (Read 2742 times)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering townships near Northup/Mold, Flintshire, N Wales from 1798 parish re
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
... Returning to the original entry for Robert Jones, the second word certainly looks like Corn viz. "r" and "n" rather than "m", but then the "h" or "n" superscript becomes a problem as it should be "t", and does not look like a "t". I also might have expected 2 "ms" in the shortened form of "Common". Conversely, the clerk could have written Common phonetically as "Com with an "n" superscript. Although what is supposedly an "n" looks like an "h", other "h's" on the same page have a loop, and these "h's" do not not. Further, whoever wrote the next page (131) had a better hand, as can be seen Anne D of David Jones: Flint Com with an "n" superscript.

So, thanks to everyone, but I'll plump for Flint Common. As bookbox mentioned earlier, Flint Common is referenced extensively in these registers.

Best

John
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering townships near Northup, Flintshire, Wales, late 18thC
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 03 June 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Experts

I have another request.

This is another Northop Parish register (presumably St. Eurgain and St. Peter, Northop) entry for Anne D of John Jones and Mary his wife born April 10 1800, which is the entry at the bottom of the page on Ancestry @ https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62104/images/004372612_00144?pId=534908 The township looks to me something like Caerfallwch, which if I'm correct is about 5 mls from Flint & 2.5 mls from Northop ie. walkable, and now called Rhosesmor.

Is Caerfallwch a correct reading, pls? And what about the baptism date? Is it 12 April 1800?

The proximity to Flint (and hopefully Flint Common) is significant for my search as I'm trying to identify the parents, John Jones & Mary? - presuming that at that time they would not have strayed far from Northop. [Several family trees on Ancestry have Anne's father from Montgomeryshire, some distance from Flint, and so I have dismissed these. So, can anyone please identify a baptism for John, presumably, about 1797 (I think their first child was Robert, my ggg father, baptised at Northop 25 Feb 1798, born @ Flint Common) and a marriage to Mary, presumably about 1797.

Once again, I will appreciate any help.

Many thanks and best wishes

John
Apologies: again, the screenshot will not post
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering townships near Northup/Mold, Flintshire, N Wales from 1798 parish re
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 June 21 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mabel.

John
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes