Author Topic: Sheffiel General Cemetery - Grave Plot location of a Barnsley man  (Read 1476 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffiel General Cemetery - Grave Plot location of a Barnsley man
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:58 BST (UK) »
More info
Sheffield Independent, 26 June 1875
Deaths.
LOCKWOOD.—June 21, at Bennett street, Highfield, Mr. Joseph Lockwood, late gardener to Mr. Joseph Angus, fruiterer, aged 71.

Curious, the cemetery register we can see on FS says that Joseph died on the 22nd!

Joseph Angus, fruiterer, can be found in the newspapers. Don't buy any of his figs!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Also in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 26 June
DEATHS.
LOCKWOOD.—June 21, Joseph Lockwood, fruiterer, 7 Bennett-street, aged 71.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
Jonw65

Seeing all the extra info you have found on Joseph Lockwood  makes my trip to Sheffield seem a lot more worthwhile in real terms.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm
Inspired by your photos! As CR said, it was extremely kind of you.
It looks a nice spot, pity though if the grave has been completely overgrown. Wonder what Joseph would make of it, being a gardener? :)
Jon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 June 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jon,

If the actual body remains have not been removed (open leisure fields/wood area over dead bodies or bones ??) - just the headstone. - I would think Joe would enjoy the whole environment of the place of its part natural setting.

The top part of the cemetery where graves and headstones are untouched !! is a right old dangerous mess (Loose unsecure  headstones ) and un-needed except people like us for ancestry records only ( not personal loss of a loved one in their bereavement to want to visit a grave) so in some ways the work they did in the bottom part of the cemetery was as living people are concerned was not a bad thing.  Though I like to see an untouch but safe graveyards  ::)

Dave
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 June 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Chaps, thanks again for all the input.
I must admit I haven't used FamilySearch for a very long time.
We should  remember that their IGI was all we really had for research 20 years ago (online), after that all the Pay By View sites started to emerge. I find the search function a bit awkward but I shall now bear it in mind more often.

I was assured by the Cemetery people that the graves were not disturbed and that#s OK with me and probably with Joseph as well. For me , personally, the grave option isn't one I am contemplating!

Good work all round
thankyou
Rebel

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Try exploring " FamilySearch Catalog"

These days you have to register and log in or out to use their normal search facility as general or search the catalog.

Search not only names of ancestors but places, parishes or other stuff, sometimes your lucky finding original doc's scans online with them, other  times you would have to use their family library nearest you for a nominal charge and they sometimes give the location of an original document itself  like in a county archive or similar.