Author Topic: General local history - coast near Whitby  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: General local history - coast near Whitby
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:44 BST (UK) »
The alum works were much earlier -
The book “The Alum Farm” by R B TURTON, printed by Horne & Son, Ltd, Whitby in 1938 says that the CHALONER family became involved in the mining of Alum in Ireland, Dorset and the Isle of Wight in Elizabethan times.
By the early 1600s Alum was being mined in Cleveland and mention is made of Sandsend and Asholme. (Asholme if I remember right was where they mined the Alum ore in Mulgrave woods.)
Page 79 “a warrant directing the arrears to be paid on the 1st May 1617” ~~~ “The spiritual needs of the workmen and the education of their children were not neglected. William WARD, minister at Guisborough, preached at the works in his neighbourhood at a yearly salary of eighty marks, and Richard LEAKE, minister at Lyth, preached at Asholme and Sandsend at a salary of £40.”

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 June 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
Go to "British Newspaper Archive" and use their free search facility to check out "East Row" and the Whitby Gazette.
It will return "snippets" from the original articles. Without a subscription you can't see the original but the "snippet" will give you a flavour of what was going on.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 June 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
Lythe PRT by Michael HANSELL -
Marriage 11 Nov 1728 William LINTON bac & Mary SAUNDERSON sp
burial 15 Oct 1736 William son of William LINTON of East Row.
burial 4 Jan 1750/51 Mary d William LINTON of East Row p Whitby
burial 11 Jan 1760 Mary wf William LINTON of East Row p Whitby

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 June 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much everyone for your replies, more than I expected and very helpful - and thank you especially Spelk for the lookup, can I ask which records were checked - did it cover all the Lythe parish records between [certain years]?
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 June 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Production of alum needed coal & great quantities of urine!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 June 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
I checked the records as transcribed by Mike HANSELL and published (in two volumes) by the Yorkshire Archaeological Society and issued to subscribers in 1973. The years covered are 1619 to 1837. Some but not many gaps.
The same information for the marriage (and I assume the burials), with views of images of the original Parish Record and Bishop's Transcripts, can be found on FindMyPast. I have not checked to see what is available on Familysearch or Ancestry or MyHeritage.
The BT record for the marriage has the Bride's name as Eliza (rather than Mary) though the image shows "Eliza" scored through so someone at some point has realised the error.
Interesting that the Lythe records show the burials of three children but not their baptisms. Might be that they were baptised but the records are part of the Whitby Parish. Also possible that the family were Roman Catholics and baptised in secret. Though you could illegally baptise a child and leave no record now available; when it came to burials you had to use the local Anglican churchyard. There were lots of Roman Catholics in the area.
The four records I found are the only ones showing a William LINTON there are a few dozen other mentions of people called LINTON (and some called FLINTON). They start in the 1600s and are missing after about the middle of the 1700s.

PS -
Whitby records for William LINTON
Bap. 17 Aug 1729 Barbara & Elizabeth twins William LINTON of Whitby.

Noticed in Findmypast a record for the burial in Lythe of William LINTON age 85. Labourer on 27 March 1785. Checking the printed PRT I see it there. Just shows that letting the computer do a search of an electronic document can lead to data being missed. I have checked the index to the printed documents and I’ve not missed any more.

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 June 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
Spelk,
Thank you so much - very clear and thorough.  That's a gem of information about the Catholics as well!
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 June 21 14:26 BST (UK) »
Production of alum needed coal & great quantities of urine!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

People say a lot of things about my family but this just takes the, er ... .

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 June 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
I've had this recommended to me:  http://archiveshop.northyorks.gov.uk/books/NYCROP15.html

Here's the blurb from that link:
"To Escape the Monster's Clutches: notes and documents illustrating the preparations in North Yorkshire to repel the invasion threatened by the French in 1793, compiled by M.Y.Ashcroft

This book focuses on the involvement of the civilian population in the effort to defend the North Riding against the French. It demonstrates the response of one county to official government directives, propaganda and rumour, and reveals the slow movement of government policy from vague appeals for patriotic volunteers to a system of forced recruitment."

I've been told that the book covers recruitment and how it affected farming families in particular.