Author Topic: Thomas Lloyd, schoolmaster at Abergele, 1841 census  (Read 1433 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lloyd, schoolmaster at Abergele, 1841 census
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 June 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
There's a "Bywgraffiad/Biography" in "Y Drysorfa", 1 March 1853. Names parents as "John Llwyd, saer and Anne". Thomas was the 4th of 6 children.

FindMyPast has the baptism (image/transcript)-
8 Dec 1776, Thomas, son of John Lloyd, carpenter and Anne his wife - Trefawr.

Offline Mendomaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 June 21 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the added information.  I could not find the place: Trefawr.  Did the record indicate it was in Gyffylliog Parish?  I have found quite a few Thomas Lloyd 1776 infants but none of them seemed to be in the right place.

I did search the 1841 and 1851 censuses (Ancestry) to see if his named brothers were still in Cyffylliog Parish. The census listing for Gyffylliog in 1841 was Trefor & Ifrithredd so it took some time to discover that. The search for the Lloyd brothers was easier in the 1851 census as I could search for their birth place. There were some possible Lloyd brothers there.
John Lloyd Birth    abt 1786 Denbighshire, Wales Residence    1841 Trefor & Ifrithredd, Gyffylliog, Denbighshire, Wales Carpenter  Thomas Lloyd   20 Isaac Lloyd   14 Elizabeth Lloyd   15 Miriam Lloyd   11  (Maybe he took over the carpentry business if the Trefawr birth place is correct.) 

Then going to the Tithe Maps (NLW) Cyffylloig:
Occupiers John Lloyd 23 acres, Robert Lloyd 34 acres, Thomas Lloyd 14 Acres.  Owners Lord Bagot, Robert Ellis.  My thinking was that Thomas Lloyd was born in the Plas Meredydd farm house that his father or brothers may have been Farmers.

Lord Bagot (the 1st and 2nd Lord Wm. Bagot, Baron during that time) owned a lumber mill as there are more woods than arable land in Cyffylliog. There is a Timber agent possibly one of the Lloyd brothers  in Toxteth Park, Liverpool but I did not copy it not realizing its significance at the time.

While I was searching the newspaper Notices for the Lloyds I came across this:
On the isth ult. in the .5:M 'ear of her age, at Rhiw las. in the county of Merioneth, Frances, wife wi Richard Watkin Price, E and seennd daugh ler of the late .John Lloyd, Esq. of Berth, in the cunnI, or Denbigh- The North Wales Chronicle and Advertiser for the… 2nd December 1834 p2
I have been looking for Berth, Denbighshire for years and find one near Ruthin. Wow!

Three sons of Hugh Hughes 1791 and wife Mary Hughes (spinster) were born at Berth and baptized by Thomas Lloyd at the Methodist Chapel in Abergele, 1823 - 1830). Another possible son, Edward Hughes 1820 was born and baptized at Penpalment, Henllan Parish, baptized by John Humphries with Thomas Lloyd baptizing other children on the page. This was about the time that Thomas Lloyd stopped traveling. Their son, my GGrandfather Robert R. Hughes 1818 Berth married Elinor Lloyd 1821 Llanddulas the daughter of David LLoyd 1784 LLanferres, Farmer died 1827 near LLanddulas.
Maybe I will find a connection to Thomas LLoyd. 
Hughes, Lloyd, Edwards, Morgan (Denbighshire & Flintshire)
Evans, Jones, Roberts (Montgomeryshire)
Davies, Alban, Jenkins, Morgan (Cardiganshire)

Offline Mendomaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 June 21 23:30 BST (UK) »
I can't easily translate these paragraphs. I would appreciate just the important information such as the names of his mother's parents if that is in these paragraphs. It also names a few other places besides Plas Meredydd where Thomas was born.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 08:25 BST (UK) »
He was born in the parish of Cyffylliog in Denbighshire in a farmhouse (at that time) called Plas Meredydd. This is a small, unremarkable parish about 5 miles from Rhuthin. The house stands on a slope a little way from the township, with its face to the rising sun. He was born sometime in 1776. The month and day are unknown. His father's name was John Llwyd, a carpenter by calling, and one of a group known at that time as the Tal y Llyn Carpenters. His mother was called Ann. She was the daughter of John Edwards of Bryn Lluarth in the parish of Llanrhaiadr in Dyffryn Clwyd. She was sister to the father of Mr Edward Jones, Maes y Plwm; making him and the Poet cousins

Ann eloped to marry John Llwyd, without her family's knowledge, and the marriage took place in Llanynys. They settled in Plas Meredydd and had 6 children, of which Thomas was the fourth. The gospel had been preached been for some time before this in the Bontuchel area, a place about two miles distant, and a chapel was established soon afterward, but the influence of religion had scarcely reached Gyffylliog. His parents were churchgoers, if anything, and were not in favour of nonconformism.  At that time exploits and sports raised a man to notice and made him famous; activities  that in these enlightened days are considered shameful. The people of Llanrhaiadr and Gyffylliog parishes would arrange to meet and compete at various sports and fights and sometimes things got so heated they gave up bare knuckle fighting and turned to cudgels and split stakes to settle the engagement. we can gain some understanding of the horrors of their feats by knowing it is said the champions would kill and skin sheep in order to wear it nextto their skin for weeks after the event, for the purpose of healing bruises and soothing the wounds

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Mabel - glad to see your translation. I tend to translate literally and it doesn't "flow". What was puzzling me was the father's name "John Edwards of Bryn Lluarth". Patronymics afoot?

There is a marriage on FindMyPast (transcript/image) -
John Lloyd of the Parish of Gyffulliog, batchelor and Anne Jones of this Parish (Llanynys), married by licence 5 July 1762. Witnesses Robert Jones and Hugh Lloyd.

An Edward Lloyd, parents John and Anne, of Llangynys, was baptised 14 Jan 1764.

Re "Edward Jones, Maes y Plwm, Bardd" wondered if he was  "Edward Jones, Bardd y Brenin"?

Spotted "Trevor" rather than "Trefawr" on Elizabeth Lloyd's baptism, father John, carpenter, mother Anne, 16 Oct 1766.

Offline Mendomaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mabel Bagshawe for that lovely translation. Now I know a little more about Thomas' parents.

From the Biographical Dictionary of Ministers and Preachers, Thomas LLoyd: "and the well-known bard Edward Jones of Maesyplwm was his cousin." Now we know that the poet was the son of Ann's brother  we wonder why his surname was not Edwards.  Patronymics? Could have been a half 1C to Thomas. Also from the censuses Gyffyliog was full of Jones families, the most I have seen in one place.

hanes teulu - Thanks for the FindMyPast records.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 19:49 BST (UK) »
Ann the eloper's father being Edwards not Jones didn't strike me when I was doing the translation, but I think patronymics is the most likely explanation. Thomas has an anglicised version of his father's surname as well

More on Bardd Maes y Plwm - https://biography.wales/article/s-JONE-EDW-1761

Edward Jones, Bardd y Brenin is a different person