Author Topic: Owen Hughes - Hugh Hughes - Armagh - Coatbridge  (Read 2350 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Hughes - Hugh Hughes - Armagh - Coatbridge
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 June 21 12:42 BST (UK) »
There was a lot of travelling back and forth between Scotland and Ayrshire and it's not uncommon for birthplaces to get muddled between the two with a person born in Scotland saying they were born in Ulster or visa versa. Irish-born parents might have sent their Scottish born children back to Ireland to stay with relatives (school registers can show this to be the case), especially if the family lived in a city or industrial area and family in Ireland lived in the country.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JessieJessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 June 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Scotmum, Dundee, and others,

As a newbie on here, I had no idea how helpful everyone could be! Scotmum, your comments about his birthday seem quite likely.  I guess his birthday was selected rather than exact.  I will research the Hugh Hughes born in Scotland further to confirm that he is, indeed, my grandfather.  I have only found him (Hugh) in the 1891 and 1901 census for Scotland and (Owen) 1930 and 1940 in the USA.  I will continue to look for him in the 1911 census though.

In the future, I will try to include all relevant documents that I am aware of to save others time in researching.  Sorry that I didn't list everything I had.  I thought it would be too much for people to sort through.  I was unsure that Hugh and Owen were the same person so I did not want to send anyone in the wrong direction. I've learned that this site has great researchers who don't mind reading lengthy bits of information for a clear starting point.  Lesson learned. :)

This is my tree on Ancestry as noted by Dundee: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/153502663/person/172029131363/facts

I welcome suggestions and look forward to helping others!

Thanks everyone! 
Jessie

I'm learning to navigate the messaging and responses.  I am not sure if I should be using the REPLY option at the top of the thread or some sort of direct messaging.
Hughes
McKenna
Bennett
Lawson
King
Moran
Platt
Farley
Lunney

Offline JessieJessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 June 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
Good point!        "There was a lot of travelling back and forth between Scotland and Ayrshire and it's not uncommon for birthplaces to get muddled between the two with a person born in Scotland saying they were born in Ulster or visa versa. Irish-born parents might have sent their Scottish born children back to Ireland to stay with relatives..."

I think that may have been the case because he was so young when his mother passed away. 
Thanks for your feedback! 

Jessie
Hughes
McKenna
Bennett
Lawson
King
Moran
Platt
Farley
Lunney

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 June 21 15:09 BST (UK) »
Age a bit out, but if you haven't already, it may be worthwhile, checking this 1911 census record, available at a small cost via Scotlandspeople:

HUGHES
OWEN
M
652/2 18/ 10
Coatbridge or Old Monkland
Lanark

Did the marriage certificate for Owen Hughes have a number for Kippen Street?

In 1914/15 Valuation Rolls, there was a James Hughes entry for house 43/A and 47/F Kippen Street.  It could be coincidence or a  possible connection.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 June 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
From your references to the Valuation Rolls, Scotsmum.

There are two different James at each address. I would be interested in the first one, James Hughes, tube worker (matching Owen's occupation). From your image of the 1914 marriage Jessie, James gave his address as 44a Kippen Street on 31 December 1914. A Daniel Boyle is showing at that address in 1914 and 1915.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 June 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
I have to say I am not that sure that the family in Scotland is the right one  :-\

Owen is pretty consistent with his bio on all his documents. Less concerned about the birth year moving a little between 1886 to 1888. He was constant with the date of 17 March and birth place being Armagh.

The John Hughes, with the Scottish based family, is also constant with his occupation being that of a blast furnace keeper. Owen stated his father John was a whinstone quarryman.

I am humming and hawing on this all...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 June 21 21:42 BST (UK) »
The James Hughes, tube worker, who is living at Kippen Street between at least 1914-1935 married at All Saints, Airdrie in October 1911 to a Catherine Lawrie. A clip with his details below. His parents, Owen Hughes and Ellen Tuite had their children in Newry, Armagh. For those with access, there is a family tree on a/try here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/108014527/person/392055287917/facts

Wondering if there could be a connection for your Owen to this family?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 June 21 22:52 BST (UK) »
Owen Hughes gave his address as 16 East Stewart Street when heading to USA in 1923, which matches Valuation Roll for 1920 :

HUGHES
OWEN
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE 16/I/1 EAST STEWART STREET
OLD MONKLAND

and Jessie was still there in 1925:

HUGHES
JESSIE
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE 16I/1 EAST STEWART STREET
OLD MONKLAND
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 June 21 23:16 BST (UK) »
A further co incidence with the James Hughes mentioned. He also gave East Stewart Street as his residence when he married in 1911.

Monica