Author Topic: Catherine Eden (nee Smith) Elmdon  (Read 891 times)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Eden (nee Smith) Elmdon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 June 21 23:58 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry you can use the reference numbers to find the census entries.
Example 1851 census 2063/239/11
Choose card catalogue from the search menu, put 1851 in the title box and choose 1851 England census
Fill in the above numbers in the boxes for piece/folio/page and name Catherine Smith.
Search and the first two records are mother and daughter.
On FamilySearch if you find a census you can get the numbers and go back to Ancestry for the image.
The GRO is free to use and includes mothers maiden names before 1911 and age on death, very useful for finding children who were born and died between census years. Also recent deaths are there. PDF's are available for some records and are cheaper and often quicker than paper certificates. All details on site.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Eden (nee Smith) Elmdon
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:37 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry you can use the reference numbers to find the census entries.
Example 1851 census 2063/239/11
Choose card catalogue from the search menu, put 1851 in the title box and choose 1851 England census
Fill in the above numbers in the boxes for piece/folio/page and name Catherine Smith.
Search and the first two records are mother and daughter.
On FamilySearch if you find a census you can get the numbers and go back to Ancestry for the image.
The GRO is free to use and includes mothers maiden names before 1911 and age on death, very useful for finding children who were born and died between census years. Also recent deaths are there. PDF's are available for some records and are cheaper and often quicker than paper certificates. All details on site.

Thank you, I must make more use of the free GRO service. In the past I've only found a GRO reference for an individual I'm interested in and purchased an online copy. Given the positive outcome of this post, I'll likely post some more mysteries that I have.