Author Topic: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast  (Read 2682 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 June 21 13:06 BST (UK) »

However, STILL no word from the sweaty hands at FindMyPast in relation to the cost per page to print our own copy. At least we could have expected a date WHEN they intend to drop the 'bombshell' price ;D

That is rather harsh - FindMyPast won the contract, so were prepared to pay for it. We can hardly expect them to have it transcribed and then open it to people without paying any extra. They are a commercial company and are expected to make a profit. People have a choice - pay to see it as soon as available, or wait perhaps 10 years until FindMyPast's contract expires and it is available on other sites as well.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 June 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
You never know if your ancestors were away from home on census night in 1921 and you expect to see them in their usual parish but they may have been holidaying in Great Yarmouth or Southend On Sea on census night.

In 2004 I was at the FRC in Clerkenwell (Miss that place terribly) and made inquiries about 1921 and was told it will not be released until 2022, so I had to wait 18 years, now that 18 years is almost up.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 June 21 14:40 BST (UK) »
I am expecting my family to be as I think they should but looking forward to seeing my husband’s family.
His grandmother died in 1917 and grandfather raised the four children.  In 1921, the youngest was only 6 yrs and the oldest 13 yrs so it was very hard for them. He died in 1927.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 June 21 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks to All current contributing to this 'reminder' of outstanding announcement of P-P-V costs. I'm sure FindMyPast have a monitor who records & reports? data from this Forum as a matter of course. Hence a regular, wake up call 'in public' from someone stirring the broth, does no harm to show them a variety of points of view which have been stimulated.
They will be chuffed here remain plenty on their side (not claiming though to be non shareholders :o, for myself I have many subs to resources incl FindMyPast & Anc; Deceased Online, but as I am no longer mobile, even a visit to TNA is right out of the question!

Hi, 

Why would Find My Past or any other commercial website need to monitor RChat ... what would they  record and report on, and why?

I am in New South Wales, a state in Australia.  I was born in 1947, in NSW. My migrating ancestors had all arrived here by the mid 1800s when NSW was a British Colony.  So the 20th century English censuses are of no real use to me, in fact the 1871 English census would be the most recent useful one for my family.

Ancestry, Find My Past and other commercial websites have partnership arrangements with the NSW State Archives and have assisted the digitisation processes for many kilometres of historic records from the penal era.  The NSW  State Archives can of course continue to charge a fee for providing hardcopy and top it up with an admin fee for documents readily available on those commercial websites. 

As others have already mentioned, there are costs involved in locating, conserving, indexing, transcribing, digitizing, operating a website, operating a commercial for profit business, and acting in the best interests of their shareholders. 

User Pays has been a concept in every person's life ever since money was invented.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 June 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming that Copper1 wasn't around when the 1939 Register was first released in 2015.  It was exactly the same at that time - purchase credits etc. on top of your subscription.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 June 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
I'm sure FindMyPast have a monitor who records & reports? data from this Forum as a matter of course.

Why would Find My Past or any other commercial website need to monitor RChat ... what would they  record and report on, and why?

I'm sure I recall some employee of FindMyPast posting on here a fair time ago - sorry can recall no details but probably before D C Thomson took over. Other commercial companies have posted here - Incline Software come to mind.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming that Copper1 wasn't around when the 1939 Register was first released in 2015.  It was exactly the same at that time - purchase credits etc. on top of your subscription.

Same thing with the 1911 census, too.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 June 21 08:18 BST (UK) »
I'm sure FindMyPast have a monitor who records & reports? data from this Forum as a matter of course.

I'm sure I recall some employee of FindMyPast posting on here a fair time ago - sorry can recall no details but probably before D C Thomson took over. Other commercial companies have posted here - Incline Software come to mind.

FindMyPast started out with a group of probate researchers that called themselves Title Research (a company started by Tom Curran servicing lawyers in the mid 1960s.), they later changed the name/expanded to 1837 Online (in 2003), based on the year civil registers became available. This was bought out by DC Thompson groups and later rebranded to FindMyPast.
I should note Title Research also operates at present.
Cheers
Guy
Amended to add "in" before 2003
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 June 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy, it must have been in the early days of Thomson ownership. Impossible to find such a post using the search facility, I would think.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)