Author Topic: Hannah Crook and Joseph Milnes - where have I gone wrong?  (Read 527 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Crook and Joseph Milnes - where have I gone wrong?
« on: Friday 18 June 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi folks - am not too well at the moment, so may not be firing on all cylinders! I seem to have made an error in my tree and would appreciate any help in unravelling it. NB for those using Ancestry, my tree is AMAncestry.

This concerns my Crook family of Huddersfield. My 4x g-grandfather Benjamin Crook (1764-1834) was married twice, as follows:

1. Betty/Elizabeth Cheetham (1769-1799), married in Elland in 1786. Children: Ann 1786, Mary 1789, Hannah 1791, Sarah 1794, Elizabeth 1796, Richard 1799.

2. Hannah Beaumont (1773-1829), married at St Peter’s, Huddersfield in 1801. Children: Joseph 1802, Caroline 1807, Benjamin 1808 (my direct line), William 1810, Samuel Thomas 1812, Henry 1817.

Wanting to trace what happened to daughter Hannah born 1791, I noted that in her father Benjamin’s 1833 will there was reference to a daughter “Hannah, wife of Joseph Millnes”.

There’s a marriage in Huddersfield of Hannah Crook to Joseph Milnes, 5 June 1814. So far so good.

The difficulty arises in tracing that Milnes couple. I’ve attached to my tree the family headed by Joseph Milnes c1802 Longwood, wife Hannah b c1804-5 Golcar. But her age is obviously not a fit for my Hannah b 1791. There are 12 known children in their family from John Milnes 1817 to Iver Campbell Milnes 1843 - on any view my Hannah (1791) would have been too old to be childbearing in the 1840s. And child number 10, George Henry Milnes, has mother’s maiden name Hirst on his 1840 birth reg. I can’t find birth registrations for the younger children, Beaumont Milnes (1841) and Iver Campbell Milnes (1843).

Another problem: a Hannah born 1804-5 would have been too young to marry in 1814. I have wondered whether Benjamin Crook and 2nd wife Hannah née Beaumont had a daughter Hannah in the gap between Joseph 1802 and Caroline 1807, but surely she could not be a bride in 1814? It’s a shame, because if she were it would explain the naming of the 11th Milnes child as Beaumont - her mother’s maiden name.

Is there more than one Hannah?

Help!  ??? :)

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Crook and Joseph Milnes - where have I gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
NB this is the 1814 marriage:

St Peter, Huddersfield, 5 June 1814

Joseph Milns & Hannah Crook - both signed (no reference to full age or a minor)

Witnesses: John Hellawell, Sarah Crook*

*This may be sister Sarah b 1794, who went on to marry Francis Furness in 1815.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
Another relevant factor: the oldest known Milnes child (John b 1817) died in Pennsylvania, and his parents were named on his 1906 death cert as John Milns and Hannah Crook.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi avm,

Do hope you're feeling a little better.

I'm not at all certain on this but I think that the John b.1817 who died in PA had been in PA since at least 1840. Does this tie in with your findings?

On the 1900 census (transcribed as MILNS West Nantrneal, Chester, Pennsylvania) he says he's been in the US since 1826 which makes you wonder if his parents had been in PA since then as well.

I think we may need our friend "Sandra" on this one!

Best,
Maureen

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 June 21 12:08 BST (UK) »
Just adding....

On the Pennsylvania and New Jersey, U.S., Church and Town Records, 1669-2013 on Ancestry-take a look at Hannah MILNES-died 1878.

Maureen

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 June 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Just adding....

On the Pennsylvania and New Jersey, U.S., Church and Town Records, 1669-2013 on Ancestry-take a look at Hannah MILNES-died 1878.

Maureen

Brilliant! What great records too, with dates of birth and death. So that’s where I’ve gone wrong - they flummoxed me by heading Stateside. Lots of rejigging to be done. Thank you  :)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 June 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
 :) :)

You're very welcome!

That surname seems to get mangled quite a bit on various census records.

Maureen