Author Topic: Shegog & Cousley Families  (Read 2024 times)

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shegog & Cousley Families
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 October 21 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis
Thank you so much for your response, I am so glad to hear from you. I did have a strong feeling that Margaretta was named after her grandmother but I have not been able to find any records to prove that, due (I'm guessing) to how long ago it was and the existence of any such records. I did know that James and Samuel were listed in John's will as receiving the family farm but I didn't know that Margaret bought it off him, so that is super interesting.
Sinclair is buried with his son and daughter-in-law in the grounds of the Kilcronaghan Parish Church but there is no much mention on the headstone of Margaret being buried with him but it is more than possible that she is.
I didn't realise the Cousley's came to Australia - many of Sinclair's siblings settled in Victoria so I have been researching the Shegog's that came to Victoria but maybe I need to start researching the Cousley line here too.
I would be really keen to share information with you.
Thanks again, Julie

Offline Denis Cousley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
Julie
I have loads of information for you about Margaret Cousley and her siblings, if you don't mind could I have an email address as most of it is not for public viewing I think including the photographs.
Denis

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 October 21 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Denis - I've sent you a private message  :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline lrsmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 October 23 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to Roots Chat, but I was searching family names and came across these posts from distant relatives.  I am descended from Matilda (Tillie) Caroline Shegog who married John Sandilands, a doctor from Scotland.  Tillie served as a missionary nurse to Nyasaland, Africa before she married.  Her parents were Sinclair and Margaret (Cousley) Shegog.  I would love to see the "Bracca House" someday and am interested in the information Denis has on the family!
-Lisa

Offline lrsmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 October 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
Denis and Julie and any other relatives  :D
I can fill you in on Tillie Shegog Sandilands's family.  She had a dream/vision where she saw her shadow all black, realized her sinfulness, saw Christ make it white, and dedicated the rest of her life to mission work.  She trained as a nurse (it looks like from pictures that one of her sisters may have also.)  She went to Africa where she was shown the graves of the previous two foreign nurses.  She ran the clinic with local help, but got a bad case of malaria.  A Scottish missionary doctor from India, John Sandilands, heard about her when he was home on furlough.  He went to help her finish her term.  Saved her life by dosing her differently with quinine and sent her to the coast and back home with money for a wedding ring.  When her term was finished he joined her back home and married her. She had returned from Africa just after her mother Margaret died.  As she was being carried out to the coast, a native woman ran along side her "mochile"-hammock and begged her to send someone else to tell them the words of Jesus. She and John had two children.  Robert and Marguerita. My grandfather Robert Shegog Sandilands grew up hearing this story and became a medical doctor spending most of his career and some retirement years in Cameroun, West Africa. He was born in Ireland, but my Aunt Rita was born in Peru.
-Lisa

Offline lrsmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 October 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
Looks like I need one more post to have the ability to contact relatives, so here goes: Mary Shegog, one of Sinclair and Margaret's daughters married Thomas Dickson Dec. 4, 1911.  I got this info from a previous post in this thread.  I got to meet their son Rev. George Dickson, cousin to my Grandfather Robert Shegog, he and his wife Cousin Nellie came to Washington State, USA to visit Robert.  If I remember correctly, Cousin George said that Robert saved George when they were little by dragging him out of a river/creek.  Cousin George had a very dry sense of humor.  He would tell the most hilarious jokes with a serious straight face as befitting a minister.  He said he would marry me -as in perform the ceremony - but as I was only 12 or so at the time, he was not able to perform the wedding ceremony when my husband and I married in 1995 which would have required a trip across the pond.  I would be interested in hearing from any children of George and Nellie, as I lost contact with the family after Nellie passed.
-Lisa

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 October 23 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for reaching out Lisa - I just saw your posts.
I have not heard that story about Tillie so thank you for sharing. I do believe Charlotte (Lotte), Tillie and Margaretta's sister, was also a nurse as this is listed as her occupation on her marriage certificate and numerous passenger lists. I also think Sinclair and Margaret's son Robert Woods Shegog ended up in South Africa as he dies in Pretoria in 1970 so the connection to that part of the world seems quite strong for the family. I look forward to sharing my family details with you.

Offline GarethinWA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 March 24 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julsto,

I know that Sinclair's son John Shegog was my great-grandfather. I'm afraid I don't know as much about that side of my family. I'm fairly certain that they had 3 children, Charlotte, John and Pearl (I think her name was changed to Pearl when she was young). John moved to England after a falling out with his mother (I think it was because his wife/girlfriend smoked, the Shegogs were very religous) and I don't remember ever meeting him. I'm pretty sure he had no children. My Great-Auntie Pearl lived in Larne for most of her life after she got married and had no children. My grandmother Charlotte married James Johnston a farmer from Dunarnon/Magherafelt.  They both passed away within a few months of each other in 2003. My Grandfather told me that my Uncle Sincair was born (1948) in Moneyshanare, but the farm was sold before my dad Dermot was born (1950). I'm afraid that is were the Shegog line ends in Northern Ireland. My Uncle Sinclair knows a lot more than I do and has contacted distant relatives all over the world. I hope you found this help full.  Take care