Author Topic: Michael Leahy - Limerick  (Read 618 times)

Offline lynsfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Leahy - Limerick
« on: Monday 21 June 21 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My GGGrandfather, Michael Leahy was supposedly from Kilbarron (from military records) around 1840 but I have been unable to establish or confirm his birth and parentage.

From his military records when serving with the 2nd Battalion, 14th Buckingham Register of Foot,   I know he enlisted in Ireland when the regiment was stationed in or around Queenstown, Cork but year is unknown.  He sailed from Cork, Ireland with the regiment in September 1860 for New Zealand and fought in the New Zealand Maori Wars.  After this service, in 1866 he was sent to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia with his regiment. He deserted the army in Tasmania December 1869 and married Sarah Elizabeth Innis in 1870 under the name Lahey.  He died in Tasmania under the name Lahey in 1917.  There are numerous spellings of surnames within the family in Australia records.
Would appreciate if anyone can help me piece together his early life with such limited info.  Thanks
Lynm
Current active interests.
Evans from Wales and Cornwall, Barnes (Barns), Mildren, Lory, from Cornwall.  Families migrated to Australia - Evans, Mildren between 1830-1860's.