Author Topic: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?  (Read 4422 times)

guest259648

Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?
« on: Tuesday 22 June 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Opinions, suggestions please.
1851 census, Seaham Harbour.
Irish community.

An enumerator has written the Christian names of two Irish dock labourer's wives (different families, in nearby houses) as:

TURET

However I can't find Turet as a Christian name in Ireland, or in the BMD register on Ancestry.

So I'm wondering what this enumerator heard twice (in a heavy Irish accent), which he wrote down as Turet?

What's your guess? What should it be? Or is it an existing (but very rare) name?

Thank you.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions from the Web;

Tuiren – an Otherworld woman who was Fionn’s aunt and married to Iollan, one of the Fianna.

Tara – (TAH-ra) “tower”; Old Irish=Temair. In legend, Temair was wife of Eremon, leader of the ancestors of the Irish, Sons of Mil. Temair gave her name to the hill of Tara, the traditional seat of Irish kingship. Teamhair (TOHR).
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Do you have the families in other censuses to confirm/compare?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Do you have the families in other censuses to confirm/compare?

Heywood
That's a highly sensible suggestion - I've been trying to chase them down via earlier/later entries but no luck yet. The surnames given in the 1851 are RICE (I've also seen Race and Rouse in the town) and MCMAHAN (McMahon also).

It's a very fluid Irish community of labourers living mainly in lodging houses, following the work.

There are lots of Bridgets around... which end in ET...
Is there a compressed (or pet) version of Bridget which might sound like Turet?... just thinking aloud...

D

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:50 BST (UK) »
You could post a snippet from both entries on https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/, and add a link back to this thread.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:55 BST (UK) »

There are lots of Bridgets around... which end in ET...
Is there a compressed (or pet) version of Bridget which might sound like Turet?... just thinking aloud...

D

I only know of two pet forms for "Bridget" and they are

Biddy and Bridie
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

guest259648

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:56 BST (UK) »
A couple of suggestions from the Web;

Tuiren – an Otherworld woman who was Fionn’s aunt and married to Iollan, one of the Fianna.

Tara – (TAH-ra) “tower”; Old Irish=Temair. In legend, Temair was wife of Eremon, leader of the ancestors of the Irish, Sons of Mil. Temair gave her name to the hill of Tara, the traditional seat of Irish kingship. Teamhair (TOHR).

Sandblown
Many thanks for showing me these beautiful names.

The female Irish names I'm finding on the 1851 Seaham census are much more 'ordinary' and predictable: Ann, Catherine, Bridget, Rose, Elizabeth etc.

The 1851 enumerators struggled terribly with the spellings of the Irish surnames!! but the Christian names are usually reliably written. So this writer seems quite confident in what he heard, twice, in the same street (TURET). The 'u' vowel sound is rare among the names here, I can only see the surname DUFFY which has a vowel which is anything like.

I'm trying to substitute alternative consonants... T is very similar to D...  ???

guest259648

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
You could post a snippet from both entries on https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/, and add a link back to this thread.

That's a good idea, thank you.
The Ancestry indexing system has given TURET for both (it's not always right); my own eyes saw Turet before looking at the index, but anything is possible!

I will see if I can provide the snippets, and we can all take a look.
x

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
Yes they do look like ‘Turet’.

Delia is also an alternative for Bridget but it’s not that.

The son of one, I think Michael Rice, was supposedly born in Blackburn abt 1841 but I can’t see a relevant birth or census entry.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk