Author Topic: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?  (Read 4421 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
You go to ‘attachments and other options’ under the text box.

My interest is Irish immigrants into Manchester and surrounding towns. As you say, the conditions were horrible.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #82 on: Saturday 26 June 21 14:03 BST (UK) »
You go to ‘attachments and other options’ under the text box.

My interest is Irish immigrants into Manchester and surrounding towns. As you say, the conditions were horrible.

Heywood
Thanks for teaching me!
Here's the photo. I don't know how these women managed to keep themselves alive, let along bring up large families; they were heroic.

You have an interest in the Irish too? Do you have Irish in your own ancestry?
D

copyright image removed

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 26 June 21 14:18 BST (UK) »
Imagine all those children in a confined area.

Yes I do have Irish ancestry. I am second generation so it is easier to know my roots.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 26 June 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
I'm also studying the arrival of the Irish in Dawdon parish and would like to find their origins, and the reasons why they chose Co. Durham as a place to 'make a go of it', having (more often than not) fled from what they had, in their home land.

Irish Genealogy Toolkit
 https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/irish-emigration.html
Map of Britain showing cities and town with large numbers of Irish-born on 1851 census. Newcastle had 7-10,000. Sunderland 3-6,000 similar to Preston and Bolton.
Usual factors influencing choice of destination were work opportunities, convenience of travel, contacts from home area already in the place. Some Irish people in England may have begun as seasonal or casual labourers who may have worked and travelled in groups. There were also instances of employers bringing in groups of Irish labourers when there was a dispute with local workers e.g. in Lancashire: from Manchester to a village in Rossendale in 1820s; from workhouses in Manchester and Belfast to cotton mills in Preston during a long strike in 1850s.

Irish migration to North East England
https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/irish-migration-to-north-east-england

Irish Migration to Liverpool and Lancashire in the 19th century (+ further reading). This article is from a health aspect.
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/chm/outreach/migration/backgroundreading/migration/ 

One of my Irish families who settled in Lancashire had eldest known child in Preston, 2nd born in Newcastle-on-Tyne (1870) then younger children from 1871 born in Preston. Only on census in Preston so I don't know why one was born in Newcastle. 3 versions of mother's forename on census
returns and only first half of her maiden surname in birth index for the son born in Newcastle.
Cowban

guest259648

« Reply #85 on: Saturday 26 June 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
I'm also studying the arrival of the Irish in Dawdon parish and would like to find their origins, and the reasons why they chose Co. Durham as a place to 'make a go of it', having (more often than not) fled from what they had, in their home land.

One of my Irish families who settled in Lancashire had eldest known child in Preston, 2nd born in Newcastle-on-Tyne (1870) then younger children from 1871 born in Preston. Only on census in Preston so I don't know why one was born in Newcastle. 3 versions of mother's forename on census
returns and only first half of her maiden surname in birth index for the son born in Newcastle.

Maiden Stone
Many thanks for these very useful links.
One strand of my family was among these often desperate Irish people who were forced to relocate in a different land.
Thank you for spelling out the reasons why they came to the UK mainland: not one came for pleasure, did they, and many of them suffered great hardship when they were here.

Given the struggles they encountered, I think I'm finding it extremely sad that their names are badly written in censuses, such that we can't identify this TURET (and others too): she's effectively nameless.
    I feel I almost owe it to her to put things right by searching for, and reporting, the truth, now that we have so many more resources we can use.

What were the 3 versions of your female ancestor's forename?
And what is missing from her maiden surname in the birth index?

D

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 27 June 21 15:22 BST (UK) »

What were the 3 versions of your female ancestor's forename?
And what is missing from her maiden surname in the birth index?

Hanora, Hannah, Ann. (Another one from another line was Honor/Annie.)
Her maiden surname was McNamara. Recorded as "Mack" in Newcastle. Her husband's relatives seem to have gone to England as seasonal farm labourers. They were in a West Lancashire agricultural district on 1841 census (taken in summer), men ag. labs, women hawkers. They'd moved to Preston by 1851 and were working in mills. 
There were more opportunities for paid work in England than in Ireland.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 27 June 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Just to go back to my ‘favourite’ name, I spent a long time searching for our Julia. Eventually, I found her registered and baptised as Joanna but on the census, married and died as Julia.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
I have a couple of Julias who appear as Johanna, Judith, and Julia at various times. They were from Tipperary families.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 27 June 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
She is my husband’s family and is Wexford but I have Judy in Mayo.