Author Topic: David Watterson, death, after 1940, probably Victoria  (Read 3909 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: David Watterson, death, after 1940, probably Victoria
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 10:19 BST (UK) »

FIND A GRAVE - second wife of Robert Shegog Sandilands.
(with photograph and obituary)

Ruth Grout Gregg Sandilands  - 1920 - 2007

Burial -    Unknown, Specifically: A Memorial Service will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 4th, at the Hansville Community Church.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18073772/ruth-gregg_sandilands

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra for more great articles on this interesting family. They were certainly devoted to their work.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 05 September 21 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia. Your timing is impeccable as I too posted about the Shegog family in June but have only just seen your posts. I am descendant from Margaretta Woods Shegog who married Isaac Clark. They married in July 1908 and boarded a boat from London to Wellington, New Zealand where they lived for a while before moving to Melbourne, Australia. Around 1916, whilst Isaac was serving in the war, Margaretta did take her two children (one being my grandfather) to visit her sisters in British Columbia. As far as I am aware, Margaretta’s father, Sinclair had four brothers (George, John, Robert and William) and two sisters (Margaret and Matilda) that came to Australia. I would be happy to share any information I have about this branch of my family. Regards Julie

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 05 September 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
I am delighted to hear from you Julie and would  love to exchange info. I do have 4 brothers and one sister of Sinclair's that went to Australia so I am missing one. I have Margaretta that went to Australia. One brother went to Connecticut and that was James Hamilton Shegog. There must be a Hamilton in the tree somewhere.
At first, I thought there must be a mistake in the marriage records because Margaretta Woods Shegog was so much older than Isaac Clarke but came to realize that there was no mistake.

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 06 September 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

So great to find someone currently researching this family.

There was quite an age difference between Margaretta and Isaac. On my grandfather’s birth certificate Margaretta’s age is listed as 43 and Isaac’s as 29. Hamilton does feature amongst many of the descendants but I am yet to find out where this comes from, possibly via Margaret Woods (mother of Margaret Cousley).

Actually,  I think three sisters came to Australia.  Margaret (1817-1901) - married twice: Robert Glendinning in 1843 and then Pietro Yoler in 1866 and dies in Beechworth, Victoria. Mary Ann Hamilton Shegog (1806-1890) - married twice: Robert Neely in 1850 and then Thomas McBurney in 1855 and she dies in Port Melbourne, Victoria. Matilda (1827-1906) – marries Samuel Blair in 1853 and dies in Campbells Creek, Victoria in 1906.

It would be great to keep sharing with you? Do you have an online tree or have you done a DNA test?

Regards, Julie

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 06 September 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
Oh, I didn't have Mary Ann or Matilda on my tree. I did have a James Hamilton Shegog born Feb 22, 1806 so wonder if he was a twin to Mary Ann or I have the wrong dob.

Offline julsto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 06 September 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
I have James Hamilton Shegog with a birth year of 1806 too and have often wondered if they were twins, unless I have the wrong birth year for Mary Ann.