Author Topic: Mary and Ann Rowley - related or just a coincidence?  (Read 658 times)

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary and Ann Rowley - related or just a coincidence?
« on: Thursday 24 June 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Mary Rowley married Thomas Tebbett by license on 5 April 1797 at Netherseal. Thomas' father was John Tebbett, a butcher. To complicate things further, Thomas also had a brother named John Tebbett who followed his father in this trade. I have no details about Mary's life before her marriage, only that was born about 1775 (according to her 1826 burial at Netherseal).

There was another Rowley marriage at Netherseal a year after Mary and Thomas were married. Ann Rowley (born about 1763) married Nathan Granger by license on 24 April 1798. I have a copy of the license and a John Tebbett, a butcher, signed his name. This was either my Mary's father-in-law or brother-in-law. Ann Rowley died in 1846 in Stapenhill.

Two women, born within about ten years of each other, married in the same village, with one woman having the father/brother-in-law of the other sign the marriage license. My guess is they were either sisters or cousins but I have absolutely no way of confirming this as I haven't the faintest clue where my Mary was born. The marriages of Mary and Ann Rowley are the only Rowley entries in the parish registers of Netherseal so I would guess they weren't local girls  ???

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary and Ann Rowley - related or just a coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
Marriage
Thomas Tabbell
Mary Rowley
5 Apr 1797
Seal, Leicestershire

The image is on family search; Ann is the last entry on same record. Both signed different witnesses.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a link between Mary & Ann, the only thought that crosses my mind is that Ann was 35 when she married. There is no marital status on the record, I wonder if she was married to a Rowley before?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a link between Mary & Ann, the only thought that crosses my mind is that Ann was 35 when she married. There is no marital status on the record, I wonder if she was married to a Rowley before?

Colin

There is a license on F.M.P for Ann's marriage. According to this, Ann was 33 and a spinster.