Author Topic: Christian Surname from Rutland  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Chazaxl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Surname from Rutland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:06 BST (UK) »
Groom is a direct line surname I am researching in Suffolk and Norfolk, however it is also the name given to any male getting married so hard to research online, so the same difficulties as researching the surname Christian.

When surnames began to be used it was to enable people to be officially counted and taxed, Christian was originally a religious connection from the Latin "Christianus" meaning follower of Christ, from "christus"  meaning anointed...so likely on some written records going back you will find those or simular spellings. Where as Groom is likely from an occupational origin meaning a profession, responsible for the feeding and care of horses.

Thank You.

Offline Chazaxl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
This is scary / odd.

I looked for Groom, in South Africa and found this.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/portrait/LTQ4-JL4

One of my highest DNA matches is decedent from the Brint / Brent lines.

Is this 'Groom' line related to yours? Oldest person shows as Stoke, before it goes to John Rose Groome (no location).

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Quoting from ManxNoteBook (http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/manxnb/v10p053.htm), which in turn is based on "Manx Names" by A.W. Moore re Christian:

CHRISTIAN has come to us from Iceland, in the form of KRISTIN. The Celtic Mac was prefixed to it and then it gradually became anglicised into its present form.
KRISTIN is found in the Flateyjarbóc.
James, the seventh Earl of Derby, in one of his letters to his son said 'There be many of the CHRISTIANS in this country-that is CHRISTINS [for that is] the true name; but they have made themselves chief here.'+ It is a very common name in the Isle of Mann. In the parish of Maughold every fourth man bears it.
Compare (Scandinavian) CHRISTIAN, CHRISTIANSEN.

James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby 1607-1651
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 June 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
This is scary / odd.

Is this 'Groom' line related to yours? Oldest person shows as Stoke, before it goes to John Rose Groome (no location).

Certainly not any names/dates from my direct line, some extended line Suffolk Grooms migrated to the US around the early 1800s but I don't see any connections at all.
'Stoke' is likely to be Stoke on Trent and that is Staffordshire.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Chazaxl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
This is scary / odd.

Certainly not any names/dates from my direct line, some extended line Suffolk Grooms migrated to the US around the early 1800s but I don't see any connections at all.
'Stoke' is likely to be Stoke on Trent and that is Staffordshire.

Thanks. I do live in the UK so aware of the local names. Just ironic to find Groom a link to my tree.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
However people who use the same surnames are not necessarily related in any way, as surnames were chosen/given...and there were lots of unrelated people who took the name of their occupation as their surname or from where they lived.

One of my direct lines lived in the same small hamlet for centuries and only a few dozen people, so great for parish records, the parish diary,  manorial, school records etc etc however there are 3 families using the same surname and I was sure they were related and I would eventually research back far enough to find the records.......however I have found they are completely unrelated... issue is most online trees I have seen have all these families in their trees as 'related' and people continue to copy and paste these online trees so they just have a collection of unrelated same name people trees, not THEIR ancestors
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Chazaxl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
However people who use the same surnames are not necessarily related in any way, as surnames were chosen/given...and there were lots of unrelated people who took the name of their occupation as their surname or from where they lived.

One of my direct lines lived in the same small hamlet for centuries and only a few dozen people, so great for parish records, the parish diary,  manorial, school records etc etc however there are 3 families using the same surname and I was sure they were related and I would eventually research back far enough to find the records.......however I have found they are completely unrelated... issue is most online trees I have seen have all these families in their trees as 'related' and people continue to copy and paste these online trees so they just have a collection of unrelated same name people trees, not THEIR ancestors

Thanks. To make matters worse, I dont know if the name my mom remembers for my Dad and features on my baptism cert is even correct ....