Author Topic: Emma - Pertenhall Bedfordshire  (Read 4250 times)

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Emma - Pertenhall Bedfordshire
« on: Tuesday 30 August 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
I know it is a lot to ask, but could anyone find my Emma.

Someone gave me the information of her maiden name and her marriage, they asked me to try this site to see if anyone else could help me.

Emma ? was born about 1839 at Pertenhall Bedfordshire. Her maiden name could possibly be Reynolds.  Christened as Renals.

Could have been married about November 1860 to my Great grandfather William Smith Wrighton (Royton, Righton, Wrightson) these names in brackets are different spellings I am getting.  He was born about 1841 at Hargrave Northants.  They had 4 children starting with the youngest born about 1860 to the last child in 1882.

I believe she may has died after giving birth to my grandfather Charles Henry Wrighton in 1882 at Kimbolton Hunts, as I cannot find her on the 1891 census married to my great grandfather.

I would be very grateful if anyone could send me copies of the 1841 and 1851 census and a copy of their marriage if at all possible.

Regards

Gillian

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma - Pertenhall Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

HO107/007-11 Folio 8b
Wood End Pertenhall
John Reynolds junr 35 ag lab born in Beds
Mary Reynolds 35 born in Ireland
Eliza 9; Joseph 8; Ann 5; Emma 2; Hear? 3mths all children born in Beds

Folio 10A
Wood End Pertenhall
John Renals Snr 65 ag lab not born in Beds
James Renals 20 born in Beds
Rebeccah Renals 15 born in Beds

Ages over 15 in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below so 35 could be anywhere between 35 and 39.

Cathy gave you the names from the 1851 index on the mailing list, but unfortunately Pertenhall in 1851 fell within St Neots enumeration district which is in Hunts. It's not therefore in the Beds CDrom set, and Hunts hasn't yet been released on CDrom. Your only hope is to try a library or a Family History Centre of the LDS, or even Myddelton St if you are in London for the microfilm.

Beds pre 1812 is almost 100% covered on the IGI as controlled extracts which are reliable. There is a christening on 18 Aug 1805 of John Renholds at Pertenhall, birth 23 July 1805, son of John & Elisabeth Renholds. There's also a marriage in Pertenhall on 2 May 1828 between John Rennel and Mary Ann Garvey.

But as I pointed out on the mailing list if you want proof of her maiden name you need to view her marriage cert, either by ordering it from the GRO, or by viewing the microfilm of the parish register which can be done at your nearest Lds. You will then get her father's name which hopefully will be John Reynolds, labourer. The birth cert of any of her children would give just her maiden name. However the census age and birthplace looks fairly conclusive when taken in conjunction with the IGI marriage entry which is a controlled extract as well.

Regards

David (as on the mailing list)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your time and effort.    I will try and get in touch with someone in the Huntingdon area, to help me with that area.

Since I am new to this family tree the reference number you gave me is that off the 1841 census or is the reference number from another document.

Regards

Gillian

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian

The reference HO107 is that of the census. You'd be wasting your time on the Hunts board so far as the 1851 census is concerned as it hasn't been transcribed by Hunts FHS, just Beds.

You may find someone who has access to Kimbolton parish register though for the 1860 marriage, although you may still end up ordering it from the GRO which can be done online.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.

Regards

Gillian

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 September 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
Gillian,

There is a death on the free BMD registered in the first quarter of 1882 in St Neots District [would that fit in with when her youngest child was born?  i.e., before April 1882?].  She was aged 43 so the age is right

Deaths Mar 1882

Wrighton  Emma  43  St. Neot's  3b 198   

I can look up Emma REYNOLDS up in the Pertenhall 1851 census but that wont prove conclusively that she is your Emma anyway.  I think she maybe but it would be nice to have some supportive or confirming  evidence?

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 05 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank you for the information my grandfather Charles Henry Wrighton born 24th January 1882 at Kimbolton, so that should be the one.

Thank you once again

Regards

Gillian

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Gillian,

We dont know if the REYNOLDS are right..but here is 1851:

page 5:

James R, head, 31, married,
Maria R, wife, 29, married, ---------, 
Thomas R, son, 6, scholar
Sarah R, daughter, 5, scholar
Esther R, daughter, 3 ---------
John R, son, 1 --------
John R, father, 74 born North Denton, in Northamptonshire

Page 10:
John R, head, widower [?] 45 ag lab
Harriet R, daughter?, 20 -------
Joseph R, son, 17, ag lab
Ann R, daughter, 14, lacemaker
Emma R, daughter, 10, lacemaker
Mary Ann R, daughter? 10, lacemaker?
Sarah R, daughter, 8, at home
Elizabeth R, daughter, at home

Page 24:
Daniel R, head, 45, thatcher
Sarah, R, wife, 44 --------- born Huntingdonshire
William R, son, 13, thatcher

All REYNOLDS were born in Pertenhall [except where stated].  The Census details vary from the Census index greatly!

Emma's mother, Mary Ann REYNOLDS, was buried on the 23rd Aug 1849 aged 45 I think.

Emma's father John REYNOLDS [widower, aged 56] married  Hannah HOLYOAK [widow, aged 43] on the 31st July 1862...both made their mark X [rather than signed]: witnesses Mary Ann REYNOLDS & William REYNOLDS [both signed].  John was buried on the 6th March 1872 I think.

cathy

Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 05 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank you very much for the infomation.  Have you any other ideas where I can get the information from to see if this is my Emma.

Thank you once again

Regards

Gillian