Author Topic: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?  (Read 1269 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 February 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Or she was descended from one of the many Borders families who moved up to Edinburgh in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Back in the 1980s I corresponded with a retired Northern Ireland civil servant, Dr. John A. Oliver, who had set himself the seemingly impossible task of trying to find out whereabouts in Scotland his Olivers had come from. He did a fair amount of research on the Borders Olivers, and wrote a couple of articles for the Ulster family-history journal FAMILIA. He and I both had an article in the 1988 journal about our respective ancestors. I was luckier than him because my Co. Down Pettigrew ancestors were mentioned in a genealogical manuscript in the Linen Hall library in Belfast, which a researcher (called Pettigrew!) was happy to check for me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/northern-civil-servant-of-outstanding-ability-john-oliver-1.1012125

Harry

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 February 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for Mary says that she was born near Edinburgh. Maybe she wasn't connected to the Roxburghshire Olivers?
Actually it says she was born in the county of Midlothian, which could mean in the city of Edinburgh or in one of the rural parishes, for example Stow, which is (just!) closer to Jedburgh than it is to Edinburgh.

The 1841 says she was born in Roxburghshire. The 1851 says she was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian. The 1871 says she was born in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire and the 1881 says she was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 February 23 00:58 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 says she was born in Roxburghshire. The 1851 says she was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian. The 1871 says she was born in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire and the 1881 says she was born in Edinburgh, Midlothian.
50/50...it would be worth knowing who was giving the info. on each which may sway things a tad?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"