Author Topic: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 12:18 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is on SP I obviously got my dates mixed up, I have reached that age when the memory begins to fade!

WHILLANS
ROBERT
BARBARY OLIVER
25/11/1808
SOUTHDEAN AND ABBOTRULE
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I have, Frank has so much good information! Unfortunately it is a one name study, which does not extend to the Oliver’s. Thank you for mentioning it though!

See https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Oliver_Surname_on_the_Scottish_Borde.html?id=bQQxMQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Colonel Winston H. Oliver was an acknowledged authority on the Oliver surname in the Borders. He lived at Blainslie, which is near Galashiels though in the parish of Melrose.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I note the 1780 marriage on family search, sadly it is not on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk as far as I can see.The birth of their first child is on SP but not the others?

As mentioned there is another birth/baptism on SP, 4 miles from Southdean. There were 6 other children in the family.

BARBARA OLIVER      ADAM OLIVER/BETTY FAMILTON    18/01/1781   Jedburgh

Colin

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I've just posted the 1808 marriage entry from Scotlandspeople. Middle of the page. Other Olivers are mentioned on the page.

Harry

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Two brothers of James Hogg (1770-1835) 'the Ettrick Shepherd' married Olivers.

David Hogg married Helen Oliver in 1810 and Robert Hogg married Elizabeth Oliver in 1807. Both couples, and their children, emigrated to the United States in 1833, although Robert never arrived - he died on board the 'Romulus' en route.

The parents of Helen were Samuel Oliver and Isabel Millar. I do not know who Elizabeth's parents were. I have no evidence to suggest that they have any connection to your Barbara Oliver.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 20:19 GMT (UK) »

See https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Oliver_Surname_on_the_Scottish_Borde.html?id=bQQxMQAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

Colonel Winston H. Oliver was an acknowledged authority on the Oliver surname in the Borders. He lived at Blainslie, which is near Galashiels though in the parish of Melrose.

Harry

I've just gone through my copy of that book and I didn't see any mention of a Barbara or Barbary Oliver.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 February 23 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm not descended from any Whillans or Oliver myself, and my closest connection to both surnames is that my great-grandmother Martha Stewart from Hawick had a sister, Jane Murray Stewart, who in 1872 married a George Whillans at Upper Samieston, Jedburgh.

George Whillans was the son of George Whillans and Mary Oliver who were married in 1833 at Camptown, Jedburgh. Mary Oliver died in 1888 and her death certificate gives her parents as Robert Oliver, joiner, and Elizabeth Robert. I haven't found a marriage for this couple. Maybe Mary Oliver was illegitimate, although the death certificate says that Robert was her mother's M.S. (maiden surname).

Harry

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 23 14:35 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for Mary says that she was born near Edinburgh. Maybe she wasn't connected to the Roxburghshire Olivers?
Found here: https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1080&h=2885638&ssrc=pt&tid=164173685&pid=372265908189&usePUB=true&_gl=1*o8vhdl*_ga*MTE1ODI3Mzk4MS4xNjQwMzA0NzQy*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY3NTk1Mjg3OC40MTMuMS4xNjc1OTUzMzA3LjQxLjAuMA..*_ga_B2YGR3SSMB*Zjk2MGY3MjktYWFhMC00ZTEyLWE1Y2EtYzIyOGE3ZDUwZjcxLjU1My4xLjE2NzU5NTMzMTAuMS4wLjA.