Author Topic: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?
« on: Tuesday 29 June 21 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there, My ancestor Barbary Oliver married Robert Whillans on 25 Nov 1808 in Southdean (they were both of the parish). Their first 4 children were: John, Margaret, Thomas, Mary.
Robert was the s/o John and Mary Whillans. Women in naming patterns have always been inconsitent in my family, so is Margaret Barbary's mother? There is a baptism here that could be her:
Barbara Oliver on 08 Jan 1783 in Southdean, Roxburgh, Scotland to Thomas Oliver.
Barbary/a and Robert moved to Canada, so they dont have death records that say parents. Her gravestone said she died on 23 Sep 1855 aged 74, which gives a bdate of ~1781.
Probelm is -- Robert's sister Jean married Thomas Oliver and had children Mary and William. It looks like this is a case of siblings marrying into the same family -- and there isn't a baptism for Thomas to a Thomas in Southdean (where Thos and Jean were md) -- does anyone (dis)agree with Barbar(a/y) and Thos being siblings? Does anyone think Thos is both of their parents? (There isn't a death record in Roxburgh County for Thos).

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: How to get more on Barbary/Barbara Oliver?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 July 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
At this stage, you don't have enough information to prove or disprove your theory.

My only suggestion would be to widen your research as much as possible and hope that, in time, you will find something to link Barbara to her family of origin.

Good luck!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 July 21 13:45 BST (UK) »
I agree with Josephine.

There were 2 Barbary Olivers in Southdean who married there;
25 Nov 1808 you couple
06 Jul 1804 Barbary OLIVER to James SINTON

I note also Thomas Oliver was of *leburgh Parish when he married 1804.
I presume this is Jedburgh.

Info above on FreeREG.

Also on F/S.Org is
BARBARY Oliver christened 18 January 1781 Jedburgh, Roxburghshire
Parents; Adam Oliver/Betty Familton
There is a THOMAS christened 10 August 1783 to them also

So a bit of a difficult one

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
I note the 1780 marriage on family search, sadly it is not on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk as far as I can see.The birth of their first child is on SP but not the others?

As mentioned there is another birth/baptism on SP, 4 miles from Southdean. There were 6 other children in the family.

BARBARA OLIVER      ADAM OLIVER/BETTY FAMILTON    18/01/1781   Jedburgh

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 21 18:39 BST (UK) »
Huh, I had seen this Barbara, but on FS it links it to a different marriage (which I will have to track down). And thank you all for helping!
ADDED: The Barbara Oliver baptised to Adam Oliver in 1781 was married to John Murdie and had 3 children- death certif dated 6 Feb 1867 and says:
cert. shows Barbara Murdie as 87, married to John Murdie , farmer; Dtr of Adam Oliver, farmer, and Elizabeth maiden surname Familton, both dec'd; Died 4:30am of old age; Inf. daughter Betty Murdie, present; Reg. 6th. So, maybe her and Thomas aren't brothers?

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 02:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a Whillans one name study on the GOONS website, run by Frank Whillans in Australia, sorry my reply is very late, but if you have already been in touch with him please do, he can provide info on your Robert Whillans and will be happy to hear from you,
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have, Frank has so much good information! Unfortunately it is a one name study, which does not extend to the Oliver’s. Thank you for mentioning it though!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I note the 1780 marriage on family search, sadly it is not on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk as far as I can see.
The only marriage I can find on FS in 1780 of an Adam to a B* is Adam Brown to Barbara Gill in Peebles on 5 November. It's also on SP.

Can you replicate your search and find again the one you found before?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 23 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I put 1780 in error should be 1808 as original post.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYQB-KP2
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.