Author Topic: Soldiers record - battle honours?  (Read 487 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers record - battle honours?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 July 21 05:32 BST (UK) »
Google again  :D

https://ageofrevolution.org/200-object/drum-of-the-1st-foot-guards/ 

This is a drum carried at the Battle of Waterloo by a soldier of the 1st Foot Guards Regiment. Drums were a vital part of the battlefield communication system, with different drum rolls used to give orders to units of soldiers on chaotic battlefields. Military drummers were often recruited very young, sometimes while still children, and at least one boy drummer at Waterloo was just 14.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 July 21 05:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting link. I find only one Moneypenny... Lt. Thomas Moneypenny.
Although this Wm Moneypenny, drummer, probably was there.
I too noticed the dates on some of the entries, did wonder if all of the annotations were of much later research.
Do you have your ancestors notebooks? That would be fascinating.
Re: TV... I still don't have one.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 July 21 06:55 BST (UK) »
JM is correct, the Waterloo medal was issued 1816–1817 to every soldier present at one or more of the battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo. Each soldier was also credited with two years extra service and pay, to count for seniority and pension purposes, and were known as "Waterloo Men".
For some reason, William has only been credited with 1 extra year. Maybe if he enlisted as a 17 yr old, he was considered underage for 1 year.
It looks as if some men have had additional awards added at a later date (different hand, in small writing).
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline thegoat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 July 21 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your comments and insight Majm and Forguette, and Neale.

Having explored the wider document a little further it makes for interesting reading, link below. Looking through the records in the rest of the document, where the same comment pops up occasionally, I think the ‘underage’ notation is as simple as the clerk recording that the serviceman originally joined the army ‘underage’ (as in under 18) as there are a few others whose total service and age on entry to the pensioners records would indicate joining at 16 or 17.

I guess our William just didn’t go to Waterloo - a shame for us who want to know what we was up to, though he may well have been happier to have missed it!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/sharing/24793583?h=b46e47
Thurston (London, Essex)
Underwood (West Ham)
Stobie (West Ham)
Barnett (London)
Seares (London)
Harris (London)
Norris (London)
Moneypenny ??
John, Lewis, Mellin, Rees, Jones (Glamorganshire)
Williams, Owen, Gibby, Davies, Adams, Warlow (Pembrokeshire)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 July 21 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Goat, Do you know who William's father was?
I noticed there were military records there for another William Moneypenny with dates from a generation earlier.
I notice your William was born in Jersey (an important military base), he may have come from a military family?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline thegoat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 July 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale. I can’t claim to have a definitive father for him yet but, there is a baptismal record in Jersey which seems likely to be him - screenshot attached - from 1783, four years after birth in 1779, but then 1779 was the year of the attempted French invasion of the island so I guess the delay is understandable  ;D The baptism would imply his father was Jean or John (french and English names used interchangeably in the record).

I suspect you’re on the right track with military family links though, there are other later army connections with his sons/grandsons. I’m trying to make sense of names also, there seems to be some confusion with several generations of Williams after this one, but the name John occasionally popping up as an alternative though not on official certificates.
Thurston (London, Essex)
Underwood (West Ham)
Stobie (West Ham)
Barnett (London)
Seares (London)
Harris (London)
Norris (London)
Moneypenny ??
John, Lewis, Mellin, Rees, Jones (Glamorganshire)
Williams, Owen, Gibby, Davies, Adams, Warlow (Pembrokeshire)