Author Topic: please can anyone translate a few latin documents  (Read 2119 times)

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello I have attached the file for which I wanted only the first few lines translated.

I typed into google translate from "DECLARACO... to Prioris" this is what the ggogle translate result produced.

"Declararco the value of all the dnioz mansioz of the land, whether 'a possession of the monastery in the time of dompni Robti duggilby adtuc tempaliu quarucuq the former, and the eccliaz."

I was able to establish it was a return made by the former prior Robert Duggleby of all the lands and property in the possesion of the monastry of Alvingham.

HOWEVER this is dated 1536 and Robert Duggleby did not die until 1540 so I am assuming he was old and retired?

Not a great result but enough for me to get on with.

I would still need help from someone to translate others probably so if anyone wants the work please let me know

kind regards

Ell

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
‘Valor Ecclesiasticus’ of Henry VIII
The priory or monastery of Alvingham in the aforesaid deanery.
Declaration or value of all the domains, manors, lands, tenements and other temporal and spiritual holdings whatsoever belonging to the monastery there in the twenty-sixth year [1534/35] of the reign of our lord Henry VIII, King and Supreme Head of the Church in England, in the time of Master Robert Duggilby, prior up to that time.

Note: the Valor Ecclesiasticus is a survey ordered by Henry VIII of all church and monastic lands, to establish their value, essentially so that he could appropriate the taxes on them that had previously been paid to the Pope. Later, of course, he dissolved many monasteries and took the holdings as Crown lands.

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for this translation.

I can see now the poor result from Google translate had me making incorrect assumptions.

Please PM me if you would be willing to do any more translations for a fee of course as these are longer documents.

We have not come so far from Henry VII appropriating taxes for personal gain!

kind regards

Ellen

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I'm glad it was helpful.

Sorry, but I can’t accept paid work through RootsChat. You are welcome to post any other sections that you need on this thread. There are quite a few people here besides myself who could help on a voluntary basis.

If you would prefer to employ a paid transcriber, you may want to search the directory of the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives (AGRA) for a member who offers Latin. You may find the rates more favourable than from a commercial translation service.

https://www.agra.org.uk/memberbrowse

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 July 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry I did not realise that offering or accepting paid work is not allowed on this site!

Thank you for the AGRA link which I checked out and cannot seem to find a translator.

SO:

I have attached a copy of a folio from Dodsworth manuscripts. In the index to these Manuscripts it says

Robert de Dulaghby of Kingeston-on-Hull is mentioned on this folio.

I DO NOT need a full translation all I need is to understand what the document is, what the date of the document is and why Robert is mentioned.

Thank you

Ell

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents -willing to pay reasonable fee
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
It looks like a record of cases heard in a church court, perhaps in York. Robert de Dulaghby appears only in the last paragraph. He is the plaintiff in a plea against Thomas (son of Peter [?]uttel, knight) and his wife A[...]ina, the defendants, relating to a messuage with appurtenances in Kingston-upon-Hull. Thomas and his wife may be acknowledging Robert’s right to the property, but the entry is incomplete and runs over to the next page, so that’s only a guess.

ADDED
Robert's occupation appears to be Litster, which I think is another term for 'Dyer'.

There is no date anywhere on the page – you may need to track back through the manuscript to find it. The hand suggests first half of the 1600s, but it may be a copy of an earlier document.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the AGRA link which I checked out and cannot seem to find a translator.

There are four listed.
https://www.agra.org.uk/memberbrowse

On the right there is a panel headed Find a Researcher. In the drop-down menu Choose a Research Speciality (2nd box), select Latin. Then click Find Researcher (at the foot of the page).

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: please can anyone translate a few latin documents -willing to pay reasonable fee
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 04:26 BST (UK) »
...plea against Thomas (son of Peter [?]uttel, knight) and his wife A[...]ina, the defendants...

Judging mostly by the second instance, I think the wife might be:  Avicia

Offline EllyMayReid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:59 BST (UK) »
thank you both for the translation and the help with AGRA i have found the 4 researcher you mentioned.