Author Topic: Possible reasons for name change?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Possible reasons for name change?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 July 21 08:09 BST (UK) »
Coventry Standard 29 May 1914 - Dennis Levi Lowe, Labourer - Castle Bromwich was fined for not having a dog Licence

There is also Alcester Chronicle 16 October 1909 - names round other way Levi Dennis Lowe - affiliation order brought against him by Kate Elizabeth Eden single woman of Tamworth -ordered to pay 3s a week until child is 16
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 July 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
I've never seen the British War Medal issued on its own, but I see that the Victory Medal has been crossed out on the medal award rolls so I'm not sure of the significance of that.  I've read what Wikipedia has to say about the circumstances of why that would happen, but I'm sure there will be others on here with better knowledge on the subject.

It may be worth posting that specific question on the Armed Forces/WW1 board, with a link to this thread.

Hi Jomot

It may be that he was issued another medal but I don't think so. That's certainly the only medal I was made aware of. I'll post the question on the Armed Forces/WW1 board like you have suggested.  :)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 July 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Here's one reason why the name changed, but was the name made up, or was there a baptism for this name but the child died:

Nowadays prospective employers have no way of knowing if a prospective employee has been in prison unless that person informs them.  This was not always the case because previously employers had to affix tax stamps on employment cards and if a job hunter showed a card that had no affixed stamps then it was obvious the person had been in prison.

Hi Rena

I'm not aware of a child that died. His eldest son was named William though. I have no idea where 'Smith' came from but it's a pretty common name so may be it was just made up to blend in?

I had no idea about tax stamps or employment cards so that was really interesting. I cannot find him in a 1911 census record, so maybe I should look into that more. As far as I know, he had six children in total, born 1909, 1914, 1916, 1921, 1928 and 1929.

Through the grapevine it was always presented to me that it was changed because of a prison sentence (possibly in Leicester) but I've found no evidence of that.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 July 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
Coventry Standard 29 May 1914 - Dennis Levi Lowe, Labourer - Castle Bromwich was fined for not having a dog Licence

There is also Alcester Chronicle 16 October 1909 - names round other way Levi Dennis Lowe - affiliation order brought against him by Kate Elizabeth Eden single woman of Tamworth -ordered to pay 3s a week until child is 16

Hi Rosie

Yep they are both him. I did search the British Newspaper Archive months ago but didn't find much.