Author Topic: Edward Walsh Youghal Cork, Ireland  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Walsh Youghal Cork, Ireland
« on: Sunday 04 July 21 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this site. I am trying to find the parents of Edward Wals who lived in Youghal, County Cork, Ireland in the mid 1800s.
 I live in NZ.
My grt grandfather- Michael Walsh (b 1858) came out to NZ from Youghal in County Cork. He later brought out his sister Bridget (b 1862). He spoke little about his life in Ireland but did state once that 'his grandmother used to drive past them in her carriage'!

I know his parents were Edward Walsh and Bridget White. Edward Walsh died around 1869 - when handed a hunting jacket by his son which caused the horse to rear. Edward bred hunting thoroughbreds and appears to have been estranged ( disinherited?) from his parents. His wife Bridget remarried a Mr Glavin.
Our family would love to find the mystery behind Edward Walsh and his parents. I have searched extensively ( using different spelling variations of Edward's name looking for anything that may lead to his parents.
His wife Bridget was a devout Roman Catholic and the only record I have found is a church record for the marriage of Edmond Walsh and Bridget White on 12 Feb 1857 - but no parents noted.
If by any slim chance this story resonates with anyone else's family anecdotes I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Walsh Youghal Cork, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 21 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome.
Do you have family records to confirm the details you have.
Civil records did not begin until 1864 and can be searched here https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ . It is free but you just have to show that you are not a robot  :).
Unfortunately death certificate pre 1870 are only indexed so that doesn’t help your search much but you could send for the certificate which would give cause of death.
The site shows deaths in 1867:
Edward Walsh 66 yrs
Edmond Walsh 44yrs

The two names are often interchanged.

The Will calendar has an entry for Edward Walsh, a Saddler but the wife is Catherine.

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014887/005014887_00649.pdf

This does not quite with your information.

The site should show a marriage for Mrs Walsh and Mr Glavin but I can’t see one.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 21 00:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood
Thanks for your interest and reply.
The family information is in a book written by one of  Michael's sons.
I believe the name Edward is probably the Edmond in the marriage entry and the 44yr old death.
His son, Michael, was 11yrs old (b 1858) when he handed the red jacket up to his father which made the horse rear causing his father's death. This was told by Michael.
I also couldn't find a marriage between Mrs Walsh and Mr Glavin yet found records of Glavins son - Patrick - who Michael spoke of and admired. Patrick was his stepbrother.  He  was a seaman and when Micheal was 15yrs old he joined him as crew. I discovered Patrick as crew from Cork as an engineer. He was 10 yrs older than Michael.
I used the age to guess at his birth to try and get Mr Glavins first name and found an anomaly  - a James Glavin, married a Bridget White and had a son Patrick!??
Pretty weird if he married 2 Bridget Whites.
Thanks for the advice of sending for the death certificate to see if it is our Edward (Edmond) Walsh.
The search continues. One would think if the family was 'gentry ( rode by in her carriage) that their will be info to find. I'll keep looking.
🙂

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 July 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
Lilaboc re your query. www.nationalarchives.ie Griffiths Valuation records has Edward Walsh South Main Street Youghal in 1853 House Office & Yard paying a Rent to Landlord name of Greene of Ten Pounds (quiet high in those times) This Edward Walsh was also the Landlord of 7 properties in Freemans Lane Off Friar St Youghal collecting rents from these tenants.. For Youghal Church records check www.register.nli.ie searchable by year not by name unfortunately.www.historicgraves.ie maybe for a burial place.
There is also in Griffiths Valuation another Edward Walsh in 1853 with 1 acre 1 rood 27 perches Placename is Rocklodge Youghal Lands

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
If you google ROCKLODGE YOUGHAL CO CORK it is a substantial house on Quarry Road maybe another option to consider? rgds

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the information re land.
My Explorations so far....
Regarding Edmond and Bridget White.
It appears that the family story of Bridget remarrying a Mr Glavin after Edmonds death was not quite right.
I have discovered that James Glavin is registered as the father of Patrick Glavin with Bridget White as the mother (1849).
There is no record of marriage between these two.
I believe Patrick was illegitimate and Bridget married Edmond Walsh in 1857 - probably accepting the child Patrick as Michael ( born to Bridget & Edmond 1858) referred to him as an older (step?)brother.
Bridget was a devout Catholic. Perhaps this is the mystery - Edmond married against family wishes, perhaps also the religion played a part?

His death..
The Edmond death in Youghal 1867 is not ours - wife wrong- but I have found another death for an Edmond registered in Waterford for 1869. I will need to send away for more info I guess to confirm if this is our Edmond.
Until I get confirmation and age at death I cant estimate a birth date.

I have been trying to find if any of the old Newspapers had any info re Edmond as his death by accident was as he was preparing for a hunt and perhaps reported. Also , he bred Hunters - thoroughbred horse. Would they have been advertised for sale?

Once again, thanks for interest and suggestions. I'd love to find a connection that confirms Edmonds parents.
D

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 00:58 BST (UK) »
I did Google 'Rocklodge' - what a stunning home. I wonder if the "grandmother that drove by us in her carriage" came from here?
 ::)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the information re land.
My Explorations so far....
Regarding Edmond and Bridget White.
It appears that the family story of Bridget remarrying a Mr Glavin after Edmonds death was not quite right.
I have discovered that James Glavin is registered as the father of Patrick Glavin with Bridget White as the mother (1849).
There is no record of marriage between these two.
I believe Patrick was illegitimate and Bridget married Edmond Walsh in 1857 - probably accepting the child Patrick as Michael ( born to Bridget & Edmond 1858) referred to him as an older (step?)brother.
Bridget was a devout Catholic. Perhaps this is the mystery - Edmond married against family wishes, perhaps also the religion played a part?

D

Thanks D.
I was going to say that I doubt that Patrick would be illegitimate with both parents being named. Then I found these.

The Parents could have married in a parish where records are not available.
As you will know, the Glavins are living in Ballymadog townland when Patrick was baptised.
There are also these baptisms:

John Glavin 17th May 1845 - James Glavin and Bridget White, Ballymadog

Catherine Glavin, 11th August 1850 -same parents, Cross Lane.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:13 BST (UK) »
Is this Patrick Galvin - I see he is an engineer on some of his children’s births?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Ballheeny/Ardsallagh/1767481/

His civil marriage shows his father as James Galvin, labourer.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11207/8107452.pdf

The parish record shows James’ residence as Clonpriest. Ballymadog is in Clonpriest parish. There are several Glavins in that area in Griffiths Valuation.