Author Topic: Edward Walsh Youghal Cork, Ireland  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Walsh Youghal Cork, Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:05 BST (UK) »
Re Sister Bridget..
No records or much information- only that Michael saved up for her fare and she arrived in N Z in or around 1883. He did this before he married in 1886. That search for another day. I haven't found a record of her birth to Edmond and Bridget in Youghal yet.

Michael married Johanna Noonan (b1858) from Tulla, County Clare who came to NZ around 1877.

I love the Irish ancestry of them both!
 :D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
No, I looked for Bridget but no sign and the baptisms don’t seem to have a break in them.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
Re Edmond Walsh

I have just re-read family writings regarding what Michael said over the years...

His father (Edmond) farmed and bred Hunters in WATERFORD - nearest town Youghal!!!!

His paternal grandfather owned or lived in a " castle" nearby.
[this of course was probably just a substantial home]
His paternal grandmother his one comment -"The old lady would pass us in her carriage and not even know us".

Michael said his mother (Bridget) was a very moral and religious woman who " would not even sew a button on Sunday".

Little was said about his father - except the incident of him running in to fetch the riding jacket and when handing it up the horse rearing killing his father and that he was a great follower of the Hunt.

Michael left home aged 15 and commented in his later years that if he had stayed " his prospects would not have been great".

Anyway - sorry for the background story - this is the part that intrigues me - but as I started perhaps Waterford needs to be looked at.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
The background story is interesting. Reading his statements, it sounds as though Michael could be illegitimate - not being ‘recognised’ by grandmother etc. I am not saying that is the case though.

Youghal was the registration district for some parts of Waterford. For example, the records I posted earlier re Patrick Glavin. I asked was he your Patrick.
His children’s births were registered in Youghal, although they are living in Waterford.

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Re Michael - I had thought this but have found evidence of Bridget White marrying Edmond Walsh 12 Feb 1857.

We have Michael's birth date as 15 August 1858.......and the funny thing is I haven't yet found evidence of his birth or his sisters.  ???

The supposed stepbrother Patrick Glavin sounds like the one you found as on the evidence I found of him as crew he is noted as engineer.

At the moment I feel like the whole jigsaw is still in pieces on the table. :D

I have sent away for the Death certificate of the Edmond Walsh who died aged 47yrs.

See what comes back.
D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
I just keep thinking …. ::)

Is the Walsh/White information definitely in your records or from modern research?
Is it possible he regarded Patrick as a brother but they were not related?

I did see Michael Walsh and Patrick Glavin together on a vessel record so that seems correct.

Michael Walsh, passenger on May Queen 1879 shows Waterford as County and Agricultural Labourer as occupation. It might be that he was staying with Patrick G who was, at that time, we know living in Waterford. There were lots of Ag. labs emigrating - that’s what would be needed.

Re Edmond/Edward Walsh. There does not seem to be a probate record and, as yet, we can’t spot a report of the accident.
As a horse breeder, he might be employed on one of the estates rather than be a stables owner, for example, the Duke of Devonshire owned estates in Cork/Waterford and other areas. I have tried searching but got nowhere.
I wonder if contacting Youghal library or local history might help? Here is one example.
http://www.youghalcelebrateshistory.com/posts/youghal-roots/

On that site there is a directory from 1881 which still lists as Edward Walsh as a Saddler  ::)

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your thinking!
Anything is possible I guess.
As far as I know the Edmond/Bridget came from Michael. It is in the Walsh family book of Michael's descendants  (I am a grt granddaughter).

Patrick Glavin was referred to as a stepbrother by Michael as (according to him) his mother remarried a Mr Glavin. And yes - the stories say they did crew at times on the same ship. Patrick appears to be 10 yrs older than Michael. Apparently Michael left Ireland at 15  went to Scotland where he got employment at the shipyards in Clyde then after c1yr he joined Patrick Glavin at sea. Over 4 yrs Michael sailed to Canada, Australia, the Baltics and the USA.
If Michael's mother married Patrick's widowed? father say 2 yrs after his father died, Michael would have been 12/13. It can be imagined that the older Patrick visited his father and inspired young Michael?
The threads of tapestries.....
I will look at contacting the site you gave me.
Thanks for your interest.
D

Offline Lilaboc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
Michael did come out and worked on farms. He was very good with horses. He eventually owned his own small dairy farm and had 10 children. My grandmother was one of his daughters.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 11:04 BST (UK) »

On this marriage record, what names do you see for witnesses.

NZ BDM search
1886/2167   Johanna   NOONAN    marr.   Michael   WALSH

Is this your Michael WALSH?

Timaru Herald 5 May 1885  p3
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/THD18850505.2.17?
...crew of SS Coptic refusing to go to sea.....

Ancestry New Zealand Police Gazette  1878 - 1945
https://www.ancestry.com.au/imageviewer/collections/61563/images/fl26305410?
.......Michael WALSH, born 1858, Ireland..........

The ship left without these men, who served prison sentence.

Manawatu Standard 28 Apr 1885 p2
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MS18850428.2.13?
The Steamer Coptic.
The Shaw, Savill and Albion Company's chartered steamer Coptic arrived at Wellington on Friday evening from London, via Plymouth, Teneriffe, Capetown, Hobart, and Auckland. The cost of fitting up the s.s. Coptic as an armed cruiser will, it is stated on good authority, exceed £10,000. The armament of the Coptic is said to be on its way to Sydney, where the metamorphosis will be effected. (UNITED PRESS ASSOCIATION.) Wellington, April 27. Messrs Levin and Co. have received instructions from the Admiralty to load the Coptic with 2000 tons of coal, and to retain the officers and crew and sufficient stewards to attend on about 20 saloon passengers.