Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 4th July 2021  (Read 4131 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 4th July 2021
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I am so sorry that your husband has suffered from a mystery virus.  This must be so worrying for you.  I hope it will be possible to identify the cause of it and that he will be on the mend and feel like his usual self again soon.
Re masks, I know people who just can't wait to ditch them but as for me I am going to carry on wearing them in public places and on buses. 

Tazzie, my heart goes out to you about the loss of your Father.  I can understand you will be feeling shell shocked after witnessing his decline as you have and then losing him within 24 hours.
I share thoughts with you too as we are both grieving.  I hope you have found it cathartic to write about things on here.  My thoughts and prayers are with you, and Louisa Maud, Jeff and Stanwix who have also suffered loss.
Thanks Gibel for saying you will remember us in your prayers, I do appreciate this kindness.  I think it is comforting to know you are in others prayers.

I wholeheartedly believe the same as you LM that our loved ones are now at peace and any suffering is no more.  I am sad though that I didn't get to spend much time with my  brother over the past year.  I had expected that there would be time in the future once we had all had our jabs and then once his health had improved and he was less vulnerable .. I hadn't really expected that time was running out  ..
Covid has certainly brought sad times to so many people but yes, LM we must cling on to the hope that things are going to get better ...

Diana, I agree that it is good that we are able to have a sense of interconnectedness on here and that we can support each other.  I hope the high temperatures can stabilize soon.  It must feel very uncomfortable having to cope with all of that.
Here our weather can change so much quite quickly. On Sunday gone, it was misty when I set off for Church.  After Church, it was like a red hot summers day in the afternoon and then in the evening it felt cold and there was such a downpour.

Thanks for sending us condolences Pinetree.  I am sorry that you lost your Father only a few years ago - I hope your happy memories will be a joy and comfort even though you naturally miss him every day ..
I agree that the support on here is very positive and uplifting.

All the best to you and everyone.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 07:06 BST (UK) »
Extending my condolences to those recently bereaved here also, grief difficult enough without imposed restrictions complicating visits and support of loved ones sadly, sorry to hear of other health concerns as well. Agree the diary threads and online companionship appear to have been so helpful with the sharing of a quieter daily life from home, particularly for those alone and so thanks for the continuity from the regular contributors, a weekly summary is a good follow up to keep up that contact too.

As mention on page one of Carol in NZ who hasn't dropped in lately and hoping all is OK, just a brief note from this corner of the globe from me living slightly further north from her I think  :-\

June was overall quite mild for the first month of winter, above average temperatures by a couple of degrees recorded across several regions but finishing with a polar blast for the last 2 days, a bit of a shock to the system all week with sub zero temps overnight in colder areas and very low for us in more temperate zones, bonus being clear and sunny days though.

We had a break from usual routine activities Wednesday 30th with a quick trip 3 hours drive north for Grandparent's Day at granddaughter's school, a lovely trip and back evening 1st July. Husband still has work commitments on week days but with mostly fewer hours and can juggle arrangements being self employed.

A testing time for the TransTasman bubble with a weekend visitor from Sydney testing positive on his return home a couple of weeks back sending Wellington into tighter restrictions for a fortnight. His partner tested negative but then positive a few days later, other pair they spent time with tested negative and thankfully no community cases eventuated from that. Always that worry especially now with the way spread can get out of control in the community, as in NSW with current restrictions having to be extended, travel bubble temporarily suspended too most states, Fiji is also very worrying with increasing cases and outbreak. Returnees entering from around the globe have to book their managed isolation for 2 weeks and they continue to trickle in. Masks are still mandatory on public transport but generally things pretty good, some negative comment on slowish vaccine rollout but getting there.
Have a friend doing a great blog on his experience with a visit home to NZ from Cornwall for daughter's special birthday, he was born in UK, but raised here as was his family. He returned over there with wife and another couple with extended business venture just a couple of years back before properly retiring and just setting up before lockdown but doing OK as is other daughter in London. Anyway, at great expense, he paid for his own trip home and isolation hotel as could continue to work on line, missing wife though but very complimentary and impressed with way things went in MIQ in Auckland for him and an interesting account and points of view to read. Out in time to head to Wellington as restrictions imposed but all OK there too and lovely time with daughter and also catching up with old friends last weekend, heads back here for a few days and flying out in another week or so :)

OOOps, not so brief!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you mare and to hear about how things are at the other side of the world from here. NZ certainly seems to be on top of things, pleased to hear that things are generally good despite the slow rollout of the vaccine. I do think the British government should have followed your example in continuing to make masks mandatory on public transport.
I too hope that Carol is okay.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the news, and especially to those who are sharing sad times .
It is not depressing, but uplifting really, good relationships and loving times
spent together ,a privilege to be allowed to share them,Thankyou.

Had an example of kindness, efficiency and thoroughness today.

Had thought I could smell gas from my Balanced Flue gas fire ,wall mounted.
( swimming pool and room for a pony! ;D ;D ;D)
To be brief ,speaking to EDF re my fuel bill which I could not understand ,asked about a gas check but can’t have one free unless I get benefits beyond
the usual Old Age Pension without pension credit.
However the chap from EDF made a phone call,called me back and said
someone from Cadent would call in the next hour - a full check and one next door too.
All done politely.efficiently and friendly ,same next door .
In addition a Carbon monoxide detector set up ,all free.
I had no time to notify neighbour’s daughter, before ,but did after ,and her mother’s house was completely safe too.
How kind.
Tesco delivery between 2&3 today.
Alarm checked tomorrow.
Hair on Saturday.

It is all happening !

Much rain about ,and roses all being buffeted by the winds so petals all over the grass.
Lots of big healthy leaves on the fig tree but as yet no sign of fruit.
Bought some sea lavender plants ,think it is the same as Statice ,The purple /blue flowers mostly down one side of the stem.
The very fleshy leaves will be Manna to slugs and snails so boiling up some more garlic .
Bubble bubble toil and trouble.
When shall we three meet again !

Just got a set of photographs of Flash Harry, helping Daddy to paint an old chest of drawers ready for the new baby’s clothes.

The drawers were my grand parent’s who married in 1896 .
They were in the house where grandad stayed-  refusing to go to the air raid shelter in Manchester’s 1940 Christmas blitz.
Instead he went to hospital for many months as an incendiary bomb dropped down the chimney and he in his armchair dropped into the cellar with the house burning on top of him .
Good job Santa was not planning on calling!

Well sunny now after a morning of rain.
Figures are confusing ,and worrying.
Very sad to hear of rising numbers and the restrictions on things like funerals .
I hope when this really is all over ,people will be able to celebrate, commemorate etc in ways they would have  preferred  to do , in bereavements especially closure is necessary , it really is.

Thanks again for all the news and keep on keeping on!
Cheerio, Viktoria.

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear your news Tazzie. Go gently with yourself and tackle each day as it comes. For those of you who follow the Christian faith, the words of Matthew’s gospel about not worrying about tomorrow, as each day has enough trouble of it’s own might give us all strength to keep going.  Apologies if anyone doesn’t like Scripture being mentioned.
I heard this morning that a close friend of mine who is journeying through cancer had a consultation with their consultant today and it has spread to the brain. Not unexpected, but not good.
In brighter news, our eldest grandson had his visit to his new school ( he’s 4). His mum was allowed to go into his classroom and see it which was good. However tomorrow his younger brother who will be 3 in a few weeks has his nursery visit but mum isn’t allowed to go in and see round , she has to sit in the car for an hour. Fortunately eldest is leaving the same nursery so she already knows what it’s like inside.
North East of England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Well, I for one thank you for this scripture Candleflame, that just feels like a reminder I need to hear right now.  :) I am so sorry to read about your friend and the news they have been given.  This must be very stressful for you too.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mare, I echo Roobarb in saying that it good to hear about things from your part of the world and I also hope we will hear from Carol soon and that she is okay.

My diary:

I have been to order some flowers for the funeral next week.  I also went to the library.  When I came out the library I saw a very frail old woman clinging to the railings like it was a life raft.  A walker shopping trolley was a few yards away from her.  She said "Pet, can you help me get my trolley back?".  I said certainly , and pulled the trolley back over.  She asks me if a taxi is there.  I tell her that there is no taxi and ask if she has ordered one.  She said no, and then asked if I would help her go to the sandwich shop and then to the taxi rank.  I have plenty to do but I didn't have the heart to refuse because she seemed so frail - I wonder that she is out at all.  I tell her yes, I will help you.  I try to take her arm but she brushes this off and grabs my hand firmly instead and with her other hand on her trolley we literally inch our way to the shop which is just round from the library in the shopping centre.
The shop assistant is busy with something and says she won't be long.  The old lady says "Is there anybody there?" Yes, I tell her that the assistant is there and won't be long.
The old lady orders lots of things - I realise this is not going to be quick.  She asks for ham on the bone.  The assistant says they have none, only the slices.  She tells the old lady, you got the slices the last time.  Yes, and they were horrible she says, I want ham on the bone.  Well, we haven't got any would you like some beef slices instead?  Yes, she says she will have the beef.  She offers to buy me something but I say, no thank you I am a vegetarian and I have lunch at home.  She wants to pay with her bank card but has trouble with it so I have to help her.
After the shop, the old lady says she doesn't think she will make it to the taxi rank so I suggest we go into the nearby library and get a taxi from there.  She tells me she will get in trouble for coming out so far today.  I ask, who will you be in trouble with?  My daughter, she says.  We inch our way to the library and I help her put on sanitiser.  Ohhh! she exclaims and looks very disgruntled.  You would think I had drenched her.  I explain the situation and the staff rush to get her a seat that we ease her down on.  They also ring her a taxi.  They ask for her name.  Rita.  Rita who?  Just Rita she says and also gives an address.  Where have you come from she is asked.  She says she has walked from a place three miles away. No way!!  You walked?! the staff say.  No, I came in a taxi.  The old lady says that she has to go out again in the afternoon to the hairdressers.  Where is the hair dresser? asks the staff.  Not far, she says.  The taxi arrives and the staff and I help her to the taxi and the driver puts her trolley in the boot.
I hope she will be alright for the rest of the day.  I can't imagine being so frail and braving going out but I daresay she probably wants to retain her independence.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
You're such a kind person RTL, not many people would take the time to look after the old lady as you did, particularly as you had lots to do yourself. Bless you.  :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this kind comment  Roobarb, but honestly if you had seen her .. I think anyone would have to have the heart of a stone to walk away.  Poor woman, so frail she couldn't even manage a few steps unaided to retrieve her trolley. :-\

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Oh  Candleflame ,that is worrying for you,your friend,
RTL the funeral, which will not be as in  better  times and the lady you so kindly helped ,.
That did not seem to add up did it .

All we can do is our best, especially when the facts are not all known to us.

I think it hard that a three year old did not get a gentle lead in to his
nursery .
Is it a private one?
At that age their ability to look forward is not highly developed and to say “ I will be back soon “ to a three year old does not mean as much as to a four
year old .

We keep thinking things are improving ,but then numbers are rising.
We live here  in the U.K.  on an island ,but we cannot think or be insular ,the world is our island and we are in “ this” together.
To get personal news from other parts of the world is important.
I think we on this site have been responsible , and got through some sad situations and done our best .
The fortitude of many has been inspiring .
So we will carry on carrying on.
Our mutual support has been invaluable.
Chin up everybody, it will be “medals “all round one day.
Viktoria.