Author Topic: McFarlane of Aberfoyle, Buchanan, Port of Menteith aliased McKerracher  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane of Aberfoyle, Buchanan, Port of Menteith aliased McKerracher
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 24 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Found a map with Ledrish and Ballindeor - here mapped and spelled as Leddish and Balindom

https://maps.nls.uk/view/216442794
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 24 18:07 GMT (UK) »
That must be the place. I thought it was a poor spelling of Ballimore in Brackern because of this;

1747 Duncan Mcgregor in Creitbiek and Cristin Mcgregor daur Sarah wit. James Paterson in s[ai]d town and Duncan McKerchar in Ballindeor.

I guess the correct modern spelling would be baile an doire, or baile an doruis, if it means the village of the thicket, or grove.

I think this is Duncan McKerchar's family, but I only have the details of the first two baptisms;

1744 Duncan Mckerchar or Mcfarlan+Anna Mcfarlan
1745 Duncan Mckerchar/Ann Mcfarlan Walter
1749 Duncan Mckerchar/Anna Mcfarlan Daniel
1751 Duncan Mckerachar/Anna Mcfarlan Elizabeth
1753 Duncan Mckerrochar/Ann Mcfarlane George
1755 Douncan Mckerracher/Ann Mcfarlane Janet
1757 Duncan Mckerrochar/Agnes Mcfarlan Isaac

The two I have details for;

1749 Duncan Mckerchar in Ballendoir and Anna Mcfarlan sone Daniel wit. Donald Mckerchar his father and Donald Mckerchar in Park of Ballaronachie.

1751 Duncan Mckerachar in Balendore & Anna Mcfarlan daur Elizabeth wit. Daniel Carmichaill wright George Mcfarlan in Inchmissin.

The other record I have for Duncan and Christian McGregors mentions a McAlpin;

1749 Duncan Mcgregor in Creitbrekan and Christen Mcgregor daur Isball wit. Adam Mcalpin in Gartnalhinch and James Paterson in Creitbrekan

I think Adam's family is;

1742 Adam Mcalpine+Margrat Campbell
1743 Adam Mcalpin/Margrat Campbell Jean
1745 Adam Mcalpin/Margrat Campbell Elizabeth
1747 Adam Mcalpin/Margrat Campbell Margrat
1749 Adam Mcalpine/Margarat Campbel Giles
1752 Adam Mcalpin/Margaret Campbell Alexander

The details I have;

1747 Adam Mcalpin in Loeshe of Maine of Buchanan and Margt Campbell daur Margrat wit. Andrew Mcalpin in Aushingyle and John Leckie in Wester Mains of Buchanan.

1749 Adam Mcalpine and Margt Campbel in Gartnahinch daur Giles wit. Andrew Mcalpin in Auceshoill and Donald Mcqueen in Kallowood with others.

John.

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Here are the Donald and Duncan McKerchar's of Buchanan

If I have a place name in the righthand notes - I have that OPR record.
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 24 22:23 GMT (UK) »
John's, Malcolm's and a William

www.mckercher.org

Offline herbertg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 February 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all the advice and excellent information.

John, you asked about Ross Priory. I think you are correct in thinking it should be Ross in Buchanan. The notion that it was the priory comes from notes left by a great uncle, as follows:

"The McAlpines were proprietors of the Ross Priory (between Balmaha and Balloch on Loch Lomond) for 700 years. Then they sold it to the Duke of Montrose. One of the sons – Daniel McAlpine – took the farm of Culliemare near Rowardennan. His daughter Agnes [sic, should be Jean] married John Graham of Frenich near Aberfoyle. Their elder daughter married Andrew McFarlane of Glengyle, Cashell and Craigievairn..."

All of the relevant McAlpine deeds and other documents catalogued on National Records of Scotland site relate to Ross, Calziemore and Lurg. So a fanciful addition of the word priory at some point in time...

The Andrew McFarlane and Jean Graham (daughter of John of Calziemuck who died at Frenich in 1803) in these notes are the Mr and Mrs McFarlane visited by the Wordsworths and Coleridge in 1803.

I think a good contender for the McAlpine relative mistaken for a brother is James McAlpine (born 1755) or one of his sons. All of Jean Graham's brothers had died by 1803. Captain William McAlpine's will of 1809 describes his brother James as residing at Cashell (Andrew McFarlane's farm after Glengyle).

As to James McAlpine's mother, I think she may well be Ann McFarlane, Daniel's second wife, and not Agnes McKerchar under an alias. Two reasons: the witnesses to James's baptism are Andrew and Donald McFarlane of Salachy. Plus his birth is seven years after the last recorded baptism of a child of Agnes McKerchar.

According to the same great uncle, my McFarlane line were in Sallochy for generations. "Glengyle" Andrew McFarlane was born in Sallochy in 1770. His father was Peter/Patrick and grandfather another Andrew (possibly the one who witnessed James's baptism). 

Catherine

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 February 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

I think McAlpine was a cousin, but there was also a brother, (and so Wordsworth's confusion);

13/01/1798 ALEXANDER GRAHAM married CHRISTIAN MCVEAN Aberfoyle
26/12/1799 ALEXANDER GRAHAM/CHIRSTIAN MCVEAN JEAN ELIZABETH Callander [Glengyle]

His wife's family was probably;

19/08/1775 ALEXANDER MCVEAN married JEAN GRAHAME St Cuthbert's
21/08/1775 ALEXANDER MCVEAN married JEAN MCGRIGOR Buchanan
19/06/1776 ALEXANDER MCVEAN/JEAN MCGRIGOR ELIZABETH Buchanan [Comer]
27/05/1778 ALEXANDER MCVEAN/JEAN MCGRIGOR JOHN Buchanan [Comer]
27/04/1780 ALEXANDER MCVEAN/JEAN MCGRIGOR CHRISTIN Buchanan
04/01/1782 ALEXANDER MCVEAN/JEAN MCGRIGOR PATRICK Buchanan
01/09/1783 ALEXANDER MCVEAN/JEAN MCGRIGOR DONALD Buchanan

His wife's mother was probably Jean of Glengyle;

1753 John Graham of Glengyle/Jean Buchanan in Glenguile Jean [Callander]

Who appears to have married again;

1786 Alexander Stewart son to James Tacksman in Duniverig+Jean McGregor daur to John of Glengyle
1787 Alexander Stewart/Jean McGregor Tacksman in Duniverig James Aberfoyle
1789 Alexr. Stewart/Jean McGregor Tacksman of Duniverig John Aberfoyle
1790 Alexr Stewart/Jean McGregor Tacksman of Duniverig Duncan Aberfoyle
1792 Alexr. Stewart/Jean McGregor Tacksman of Duniverig Henry Gregor Aberfoyle
1794 Alexr. Stewart/Jean McGrigor Tacksman in Duniverig Alexander Aberfoyle
1796 Mr Alexr Stewart/Jean McGregor in Duniverig David Aberfoyle

And so, the Glengyle connection. Maybe Andrew had recently died when the Wordsworths visited, and Dorothy was told about him as Christian's husband, but assumed it was the McAlpine cousin.

My data is mainly McGregor families, and so I see other families through a McGregor lens, but if it helps this is what I have for McFarlanes at Sallochy;

1715 Gregor Mcgregor in Coreuclet and Katherine Mcfarlan sone John wit. Robt Mcfarlan in Salachy and Neil Mcbeth in Callimore

And these three lines on the same day;
1719 Robt Mcfarlan & Marion Mcnaughtan in Salachie sone Robert wit. Walter and John Mcfarlans in Salachie
1719 William Mcjock in Salachie & Ann Mcfarlan daur Elizabeth wit. ut supra (Latin for as above)
1719 Donald Mcgregor in Cailnesse & Kathrine Mcgregor daur Jean wit. ut supra

And the family you already mentioned;

23/03/1770 PETER MACFARLANE/MARGRET MACFARLANE ANDREW Buchanan [Sallochy]
20/09/1772 PETER MCFARLAN/MARGRAT MCFARLAN JOHN Buchanan [Easter Sallochie]
12/10/1774 PETER MCFARLANE/MARGARET MCFARLANE WILLIAM Buchanan [Easter Sallochie]
15/04/1777 PETER MCFARLANE/MARGARET MCFARLANE ROBERT Buchanan [Easter Sallochy]
20/02/1780 PETER MCFARLANE/MARGARET MCFARLANE MARGRET Buchanan
01/07/1785 PETER MCFARLANE/MARGARET MCFARLANE PETER Buchanan
10/12/1789 PETER MCFARLANE/MARGRET MCFARLANE JAMES Buchanan [Sallochie]

John.