Author Topic: Information found on the back of a photograph. Please help.  (Read 3824 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline robson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information found on the back of a photograph. Please help.
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 July 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks wilcoxon but I think we can dismiss this line of enquiry. My previous efforts finally landed on Comrie and as mentioned before, the close proximity to where my grandmother was, just a few miles away closer to Perth (she flitted between Glasgow and Perth). The likelihood of meeting one of the Germans, some of whom left the work farms for periods, seems much more likely. It's just a matter of finding a link between a R.H Mason of the service corps and a POW called Hans Behr.
Does anyone even have a guess as to how Hamelin, the service corps and POW's could potentially be involved? I know very little about what the RASC did.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:19 BST (UK) »
Please pop back and let us know how you get on with the DNA test.  :)

I don’t want to get your Mum’s hopes up, but you are almost guaranteed to get matches from her paternal line somewhere in the world. Finding the link is the challenging part.

Once the results come through I would recommend uploading the raw data to My Heritage and FTDNA and paying the fee to unlock all the features. Gedmatch would be worth trying too. When the time comes, if you need with anything, help just ask.  :)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
There is no direct connection between a man stationed in Hamelin (Hameln in German) and a POW camp in Scotland.

That doesn't mean however that Driver Mason wasn't at some time posted to Scotland, only his service record will show that, the RASC had many different trades some of which may have been involved in POW camps.

See later post

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline robson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again guys.
Ruskie I certainly will update, it has been ordered now so hopefully within a couple of months results will be with me. I'm determined to find out as much as I can now. Exciting stuff.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
In the light of ShaunJ's post re the BFPO numbering system, it looks as there is no connection at all given that Driver Mason's address is post 1957 and presumably by then the POWs were long since gone unless the alleged father settled in Scotland.

I have deleted my earlier post.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 July 21 08:50 BST (UK) »
is it definite he went back to Germany? A Hans J Behr marries Brigitte Muller Kensington Sept 1971
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline robson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 21 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi petmas.
We believe he went back to Germany but couldn't say for sure 100%, or if he did, when.

We know my grandmother mentioned having to get back to the UK, so she must have travelled after the war at some point but really there's just too much unknown as it is. We've got two names and of course the name of my grandmother to go on, the rest of the information pertaining to Hamelin found on the back of the photograph, and a strong assumption about Comrie.

May I ask where you found the marriage record for 1971? That sounds interesting. All info whether it's right or wrong can only help in narrowing things down.

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 July 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
On Free BMD
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)