Author Topic: William Maskelyne  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Maskelyne
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 July 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
It would be really interesting to find a connection between the two men
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 December 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for late post - reply was received in July :-[

I use a different email address for Ancestry & missed this reply from the tree owner

Hi Carole Had a bit of trouble viewing the chat site. I don’t have facebook. Got some help and viewed Jay’s query. The Maskelyne / Maslen name is my husbands family. William’s grandfather Robert Maslen 1774-1856 is my husbands 3x great grandfather. The family, going back in time, seems solidly entrenched in All Cannings, Wiltshire. The names Nevil and Edmund aren’t seen as yet. The astromoner is in 142 ancestry trees. I can’t see that there is any DNA link to any of them. It could be the case that the relationship is too distant. Ancestry doesn’t match small DNA amounts. Sorry I cant be of any help. Could you please convey this to Jay

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 December 21 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the update, Carol :)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 December 21 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Jasper Maskelyne was a stage magician who performed wonders in WW2 with regard to camouflage. Among other things he made the Suez Canal disappear.

Jasper's grandfather, John Nevil Maskelyne, was also a stage magician. There may well be some family connection; it is not a common surname.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Wharfrat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The Maskelyne name is on my family tree due to Nevil Maskelyne's grandson marrying the niece of my 3x great grandfather. Their daughter wrote a book about their home Basset Down House, with some history of the family. Anyway, I thought I'd take a look.

There are a few Williams in the family, but this one does indeed come from Marlborough, born in 1839 son of John and Elizabeth (nee Cruse) William was a printer at marriage and his father an clerk and accountant who died in 1850. The family are in the 1841 census with an indicated dob for John on 1811 (ie age 30). Various baptism records indicate that the family were previously in Preshute.
After this the trail gets a little harder and more speculative but there is a John Maslin baptised in Preshute in 1805 son of Robert and Frances. This may be the same person, with the family going "oh lets posh up our name a bit" or it may be a "typo" or phonetic spelling etc etc.
Ancestry has a tendency to "suggest" other records that may relate to the same person. Sometimes this proves to be spot on and others, not so much. In this instance, it is suggesting that Robert was originally a Maskelyne, son of William and Mary. Further suggestions take this to be William who died in 1772, whose will is on Ancestry and that he was at Cambridge. If this is all true, this William was the brother of Nevil, the Astronomer.

Bottom line, he may or may not be related, but please someone feel free to take up the trail and check some of this speculation!
DILLWYN - Glamorgan, Brecon & Pennsylvania
NICHOLL - Glamorgan
WELBOURN - Lincolnshire, Canada, Australia
GILBERTSON - Glamorgan, Herts.
MORRIS - Kent
EATON - Dorset
APPLEYARD - Yorkshire
HART - Northants, Kent
FARMER - Worcs
STOKES - Cambs, Northants.
McLATCHIE - Renfrew
CHAPMAN - Kent
ROSE - SE London
JOYNER - Dorset
POWELL - Worcs.
LEACH - Pembs
CHATFIELD - Sussex
WESTON - Wapping/Walthamstow
NICHOLLS - Queenhithe, London

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 February 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
How interesting! And many thanks for your reply. I thought it would be an interesting project for my local history group here in Nantwich trying to connect William with the Astronomer Royal but I soon realised after a quick search online that trying to unravel this web of family connections would take a great deal time and detailed research and wouldn’t necessarily prove successful.

Jay :)