Author Topic: St.Andrews Cemetery, Jesmond-Grave of Peter Ferguson R.N. d. 24 July 1921  (Read 1226 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to locate the plot number, etc of the grave of Peter Ferguson who was my grandfather. He was serving in the Royal Navy when he died on 24 July 1921. His funeral took place on 28 July 1921 and he is buried in St. Andrews Cemetery, Jesmond. His grave has a headstone which includes details of other family members. I saw the grave about ten years ago when visiting the area ( I don't live locally) and now another family member has asked me about the grave.Does the cemetery have a superintendent's office/cemetery office from where I might obtain details of the plot and grave number?
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St.Andrews Cemetery, Jesmond-Grave of Peter Ferguson R.N. d. 24 July 1921
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hmm, Family Search do have burial registers for St Andrew's Cemetery Jesmond but though Peter is in the index
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-J9DK-H?

which tells me that his entry (which would give the section and plot number) is entry 12400 on folio 10 , consecrated section
And in theory they should have the burial registers as they are billed as 1857-1962, but there seems to be a gap in the available records between 1920 and 1941 :-(

So try the email address on this page:

https://newcastle.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/bereavement-services/crematorium-and-cemeteries-newcastle#records

Give them the details of name, date of death and also the folio and entry number from that index and they should be able to find it quite easily - thereby avoiding the hefty £27 charge :-)

Once you have the section and plot number there is a section map of the cemetery here if your relative is planning to visit which should help:
http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/USERIMAGES/St%20Andrews%20-%20Newcastle%20upon%20Tyne.jpg

Boo

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Telephone number is 0191 232 8520 according to Google
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Telephone number is 0191 232 8520 according to Google

The page on the link I gave says all enquiries to be made in writing or by email to the address they give.

Boo

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
To Tickettyboo and Carole W., many thanks for your searches and phone numbers and Family Search info.Very useful.Will contact Newcastle as advised.
Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
I believe Newcastle City library local studies staff are still doing free look ups whilst this is closed to the public.
I know there is a memorials index/inscriptions book for this cemetery and as I recall this does give sections where these are.  Possibly may also give specific plot, can't remember exactly.
Handy if your relation has a memorial.
Usual charge would be £30 minimum but now free!

My kindle not adding full links for the form .. perhaps Boo might add?

Or alternatively ..

Let me know if you would like me to try this:

I am on day shift tomorrow.  If I can reach the library on my way home I could try asking staff if they would be willing to let me look at the memorials book for you.

I can't promise as I don't know if I can definitely get there before closing but would you like me to give this a try?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 09:58 BST (UK) »

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Piranha -- are you aware that he is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial -- link below:-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75230140/PETER%20FERGUSON/

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 July 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
To River Tyne Lass, many thanks for your reply and the information in it. Yes,if you were able to get to the library I'd be extremely grateful, but don't worry if you can't I'll be able to contact them myself now I've got the email address for it.

To Tickettyboo, thanks ago and thanks for the email for Newcastle library.

To AllanUK, thanks for your information- yes I was aware from another family member that he is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial, but have not seen the memorial myself. Thanks for the link to it with the photo of the memorial.

Pirhana