Author Topic: Are these the same people signing?  (Read 447 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Are these the same people signing?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 July 21 05:28 BST (UK) »
aghhhh  YES  ....  ::)

Yes, I meant Wayne's Avatar, that's a lad born in Victoria, of Irish heritage.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 July 21 05:43 BST (UK) »
He looks like trouble to me.  :D

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 July 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies. I did think that the marriages were of the people I’d identified as brothers, but I didn’t wan’t to ignore the differences between the signatures to fit the signatures to my theory as opposed to supporting it.

One of the problems I had was that brother William simply made a mark when he married in 1815, whereas he signed as witness of the marriages of siblings John and Ann in 1814, but I suppose there could be numerous explanations, including possibly the stress of the situation.

It now seems almost certain that John Hunt who married in 1814 to Sarah married again, in 1824, to Rebecca Roscoe in Bolton (or 1826, can’t recall offhand). He didn’t sign, it seems, and was also described as bachelor. The 1851 Census of Leicester also incorrectly says that John was born in Bolton (there is a baptism of Rebecca Roscho there which fits her), and I can find no burial for John’s wife Sarah. There may be perfectly innocent explanations for these anomalies, but on the face of it, it all looks a bit dodgy.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight