Author Topic: Speed of sailing ship 1855  (Read 1077 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speed of sailing ship 1855
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 July 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
  Mike -where did you find that about the Juno? And when did the voyage take place? I have been trying to work out which way she came home in 1857, and I suspect it was not that way.
   My great gr father was on that voyage as a newly joined sailor, and the more I read, the more I discover it was not a happy ship.

https://www.pdavis.nl/ShowShip.php?id=1651

Try this

Mike

Added, looks like the voyage was by a similar frigate, hms Calliope, despite the heading is hms juno

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:09 BST (UK) »
Wiki tells me that in 1857 Juno and captain Fremantle annexed the keeling islands for Britain, part of Maylasia, so I imagine they returned from there by the shortest route.

I am not a shipping expert, and Mazi gets seasick in a rowing boat  ;D ;D

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 July 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
Googling captain s g Fremantle throws up a bit about disciplinary problems on the juno.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-762019182/findingaid

Seems these frigates spent a long time based in Australia showing the flag and swiping new bits for the empire, maybe the captain was making a name for himself and drove his men hard

Mike

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 July 21 21:21 BST (UK) »
  He annexed the Cocos/Keeling Islands in March 57, and was relieved by HMS Iris in July as far as I can tell, so it was a separate trip.
   It seems they could have made the trip to Pitcairn in that time, (with a following wind!)
  I have for a long time had that pdavis website in my favourites, but it seems to have been redone recently, and I thought I had lost it, though I tracked it down.
   I think Fremantle was a sick man. He was reprimanded for his severe discipline, went to pieces at the hearing and died within a few years.
   Thanks for the Australian link. I have used the Australian Trove site, but that one looks useful.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 July 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
It's a shame that Pitcairn didn't have a newspaper/magazine in that period.

All British newspapers had a daily shipping column that showed arrivals and departures of ships, giving ship name, ship captain, last port of call or next port of call.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 July 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
   I have used the newspaper reports of shipping a lot recently, when I was researching another ship's captain. I managed to piece together a lot of his movements, but those reports take some decoding as the dates are often several months after the event. It made me realise how important the shipping business was in the 19th century - perhaps the papers should go back to reporting shipping movements, it might open our eyes to things. ::)                         
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 July 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
I see Top of the Hill again working on HMS Juno  ;D  ;D  ;D  It is a most interesting topic and has fascinated me for many years too.   :D

Yes,  I think HMS Juno could have made Pitcairn in that short timeframe.   
No, there was no need for a printing press to be set up on Pitcairn to publish shipping lists, afterall in 1856 they had been moved off the island and transported to Norfolk Island and less than 60 went back to Pitcairn over the next several years. 

You may be able to restrict your Trove searchings to just the one newspaper,  at the advanced search option :  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/title/690 and then use the "The phase" option with "HMS Juno" as the key word, and then restrict the date range too, and also 'sort by' either earliest or latest will put it into chronological order...

The Shipping Gazette and Sydney General Trade List was published from 1844 to 1860, out of Sydney which at that time was effectively 'THE PORT' for the east coast of the continent ( I could be wrong, but I think the 'station' was referred to as the Australian Naval Station and was subordinate to the East India and China Station.)   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 08:26 BST (UK) »
The ship's log would answer for certain. It's at Kew, piece ADM 53/5896, covering 16 Jan 1855 - 29 June 1856. The Muster Book for the relevant period is piece ADM 38/3940.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know the answer but did you consider the possibility that the ship may have used a great circle route which is the shortest distance between two point on a sphere rather than a normal flat map?