Author Topic: Emigrants to the British West Indies  (Read 2143 times)

Offline lvninthepast

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Emigrants to the British West Indies
« on: Tuesday 30 August 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I am very new to rootschat.  I was hoping that someone here might have some information regarding individuals whom left Great Britain for the West Indies (specifically Jamaica) in the early 19th century.  My gr gr gr grandfather J. Barnet(t) was born in Jamaica in 1832 (approx.).  This information was indicated on the census returns in Canada (Ontario) and his death notice; however, there is no other reference to his parents, etc.

I have been stuck here at this point for almost three years now and would really appreciate any type of assistance/guidance for researching this individual.

The family "story" goes that my gr. gr. gr. grandfather's father was a missionary who travelled to Jamaica.  Apparently the family was evacuated around 1850 to Canada (Nova Scotia), but enroute both parents died and the children were divided among different Canadian families once the ship arrived. 

I have not discovered any concrete evidence of this.

My gr. gr. gr. grandfather's first son was born in Quebec; however, the remaining children and census returns indicate Ontario residents, right up until today.

Many thanks to any who assist.
Truly,
Rhondda
Green (Glamorgan)<br />Hunt (Taff Well, Pontypridd, Bethnal Green)<br />Pugsley (Bristol) Aston (Pontycymmer)<br />Winn,<br />Springer<br />Spearing<br />Barnett<br />Hickey<br />McCann<br />Broadbent (Oldham)<br />Census information for  U.K. data is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Canadian census information: copyright Government of Canada (Library  Archives Canada) <br />Every reasonable effort has been made to verify copyright/source information

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to the British West Indies
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
You could try a bit of general historical research.  What might have been happening around 1850 which would have caused them to be evacuated?  If you can find some sort of event, then it might be that a whole lot of people were evacuated at the same time.  From there you might just be able to find out what transport they all went on, then passenger lists, etc.  The other thing would be a bit of fishing around to see if you can find out which religious group was sending missionaries to that area (presumably from the UK) at that time, then perhaps look at clergy lists to get a list of possible Barnet(t) males that could have been the father.  It means gathering in an awful lot of information, then sifting through and eliminating 99 percent of it. 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to the British West Indies
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
I'd suggest trying to find the birthplace of the son b. in Quebec; then looking for his marriage/earlier census in that area.  (Marriage record might give parents - I've seen Quebec/NB catholic marriage records of that era that do).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk