Author Topic: Daubney Saga Mystery?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daubney Saga Mystery?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:33 BST (UK) »
There is an electoral roll for 1894 in Oldham with a Daniel Daubney but not certain if he is your man.
The address is 7 Lynill Street in the Coldhurst Ward

Lynill Street was at the back of Nile Street where David Daubney was living in 1891.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
There is an electoral roll for 1894 in Oldham with a Daniel Daubney but not certain if he is your man.
The address is 7 Lynill Street in the Coldhurst Ward

That will definitely be my Great Great Grandfather as Daubney was and is a rare name and even more so back then which originated down south. Daniel and his brother David certainly spread the Daubney’s up north!… Thank you so much!.. Jayhen
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
Comberton has been a star finding those addresses  :)

Nile St and Lynill St were part of my early life  :) it’s funny that just knowing these streets makes it much more real.

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
School records for children of brother David show they were at the same address as Daniel in 1892 and they left the neighbourhood in May/June 1892

Many thanks for your assistance so far.. it’s great that we can add a few more pieces to this massive jigsaw!.. kind regards
Daubney's of Lincoln:-:Fox's of Ringley:-:Norris's of Chorley:-:Tong's of Bolton:-:Chadwick's of Leeds

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 July 21 07:55 BST (UK) »
School records for children of brother David show they were at the same address as Daniel in 1892 and they left the neighbourhood in May/June 1892
Great work, was this address 7 Lynhill Street?.. Thanks so much

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 July 21 08:22 BST (UK) »
Comberton has been a star finding those addresses  :)

Nile St and Lynill St were part of my early life  :) it’s funny that just knowing these streets makes it much more real.

Hi, obviously Lynill St is no longer there. Where they terraced housing what was the area like?.. any photos available?. Thank you

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 July 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
I hope this works.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qrm/

I can’t see a map which names the street but if you look here, you can see Nile Street which runs from Lombard Street through to Coldhurst Street.  The 1891 address for Nile Street (David and family) is at the Lombard Street end.
Lynill Street is a small street from Coldhurst Street which is just above Nile Street and parallel to the angled part of Nile Street. They would be terraced houses, 2 up, 2 down probably, as most in the area. There were some single back to back houses, on a street just above the brewery which were a living kitchen room, with a bedroom above and this was replicated on the houses either side and behind. My newly married cousin lived in one for a while in the 1950s.

The large building on Coldhurst Street opposite Nile  Street was Oldham Brewery and you could smell brewing beer all around at times.  :)

I looked for photos yesterday but couldn’t see anything specific.

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 July 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
That’s very helpful Heywood. Hopefully can find some information on the area and pass it onto the author who is very excited about this confirmation of Daniel initially residing in Oldham as it was always everyone’s belief he went straight to Bolton. (Albeit Edith was born there in 1893 and I always had my suspicions they must have been in Oldham).. Great work. Wouldn’t mind getting copies of the School records to pass on..

Offline Jayhen6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 July 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
I suppose if you want it to be authentic, the address should be correct.

They seem to be moving about 1891-1893.
I have looked for baptism records but can only find one for a child of David’s in 1896 - different address again.

I think I recall in your other thread, that boxing/ fighting etc was mentioned.
I looked in newspaper indexes for any hints re addresses but no success.

There are references to J Daubney, Oldham in the Sporting Times - would that be James, son of David?

Hi, I’ve not really researched David Daubney’s family but yes he had a son called James. What sport was he involved in?  Thank you