Author Topic: Margaret Cook Woolwich 1861  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Cook Woolwich 1861
« on: Wednesday 14 July 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my Great great Grandfather Richard Hunt and for years I've hit a brick wall (I have posted on this site too, but am still struggling with him...

I've recently discovered a child of his that we didn't know about who was living with her aunt in the 1881 census in Woolwich.

The child is Mary Ellen Hunt born in Jersey in 1875 (her father was Royal Horse Artillery).

Her aunt was Margaret Cook, born in Ireland in 1824 (Richard Hunt was born in Nenagh in 1835 and his wife's parents were from Kerry).

Margaret was a widow in 1881.

In 1861 she was living with Charles Cook who was born in Grayton, Lincolnshire in 1816.

I can't find any marriage records for them to verify if her maiden name was Hunt or Connors (Mary Ellen's mother was Mary Connors).

I have no siblings for Richard Hunt, but I do have several for Mary Connors, but none were called Margaret. (as far as I know!!!)

Any help in discovering her maiden name would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Cook Woolwich 1861
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
1861 shows eldest dtr b 1851 Ireland which suggests they married there

4 other children born England.  If you use freebmd to look up their birth registrations then use GRO online you will find mmn was Carroll

www.freebmd.org.uk

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW
I should've thought of that. Doh...
Ahh well, just another dead end.
I wonder how she's her aunt though?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Margaret Carroll’s sister may have married a Hunt so Margaret would be aunt to any children

Do you have Mary Ellen’s Jersey birth cert confirming her father was Richard?.  It will also give her mothers name & maiden name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
No wonder I couldn’t find the 1881 entry  ???

Surname is Cooke - not Cook
Margaret b 1819 not 1824
Mary Ellen is Ellen

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't found any details yet of her birth in Jersey. Is it possible to obtain them from Jersey? As she has siblings born there too... (Also some in India).

Sorry about the confusion with the name spelling and D.O.B, I should've explained more in my original post.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
The child is Mary Ellen Hunt born in Jersey in 1875 (her father was Royal Horse Artillery).

How do you have her fathers details?  As she is Ellen Hunt in 1881 - how do you know she was Mary Ellen Hunt

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 July 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
She married Arthur George Broughton on December 16th 1901 in plumstead.
Her father was Richard, deceased and two witnesses were John Thomas Hunt (I presume her brother) and Elizabeth S Hunt, (again I only presume, John's Wife)...

I have written notes from a great Aunt with reference to Richard Hunt and his children...
John Thomas and Mary Ellen weren't in them.
But the records I've found relating to the two unknown children, suggest they are Richard and Mary's children...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 July 21 00:21 BST (UK) »
The 1901 marriage was Mary Eleanor Hunt and no occupation is shown for Richard

Have you seen the 1901 entry for John T & Elizabeth Hunt?  Adopted son George Broughton aged 3 is the son of Arthur & his previous wife Ellen Matilda Hills.  Ellen must have died in childbirth

Deaths Jun 1898   
Broughton    Eleanor Matilda    31    Woolwich    1d   678

BROUGHTON, GEORGE mmn       HILLS     
GRO Reference: 1898  J Quarter in WOOLWICH  Volume 01D  Page 1251

Marriages Sep 1895   
Green    Elizabeth Sarah    Woolwich    1d   2033    
Hunt    John Thomas   

Father shown as Richard - deceased - soldier     Witnesses Richard & Catherine Anne Hunt

Richard Hunt & Catherine Anne Hudson married 1877 - father Richard - occ labourer