Author Topic: Cremation search  (Read 851 times)

Offline ches1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cremation search
« on: Friday 16 July 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’ve been looking for my Great Great Grandmothers grave with no joy. I have searched the local paper to see if her funeral arrangements where put in there, nothing. I looked for her husbands too as they died 6 months apart, I did find a death notice, it said ‘ no mourning’. I’m convinced that they were both cremated. Does anyone know if there is a way to check this out? I have been in touch with Dignity funeral care ( Northampton) who run the crematorium, they charge £25 per search- just wandered if there is another way to search. I have also been in touch with the co-op to see if they hold any records, but have had no reply 2 weeks later.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cremation search
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:49 BST (UK) »
You don't say where you are, or how mobile you are.
Can you get to Northampton yourself?

An in-person search is most likely free.
https://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/crematoria-and-cemeteries/crematoria/find-a-crematorium/counties-crematorium/
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
You don't give any details of their names or when they died or their address at that time. 

If you know their actual dates of death - contact the Records Office on the link given above who may be able to help.  If you don't know their death dates - they may charge to make a search

Unusual for an obit notice not to give funeral arrangement details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
Try to find out if there is a local studies in the area which might hold the records on microfilm.  In my area, some local studies departments hold burial/cremation records.
If so, there might be a chance that the staff might look them up for free (in my area a free service is currently available if you know dates.)  Alternatively a local RootsChatter might come forward to help.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ches1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. Answers to the questions:
Yes I can get to Northampton. Northampton only have 1 crematorium.
Dignity charge £25 per search.
I have visited the local records office, they don’t hold cremation records, I looked through the cemeteries to see if they were buried but didn’t find them.
Thanks again.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 July 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
If there is a Garden of Remembrance area, at the suspected Crematorium, there might be a memorial plaque in existence, perhaps.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ches1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 July 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, good idea, I shall pop up there next week. Thank you

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 July 21 22:09 BST (UK) »
Bearing in mind you have not indicated when they died, I thought I'd add in that Northampton Crematorium opened in July 1939.

Another option, as you are in the area, is to visit the crematorium on the anniversary of their dates of death. The Book of Remembrance will be on display.
IF there was an entry on either/both dates (not everyone chose to have an entry as there was a cost) then that could lend weight to your theory that they were cremated?

Boo

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 July 21 09:29 BST (UK) »
Even though covid restrictions are being lifted, many crematoria around the country have closed their offices, even funeral directors now send their forms electronically.

I know this post is now a week old, but if you haven't made your journey yet, please don't make that journey before you check by phone that they are open and will help you with your search.

It is also mis-guided to suggest an in-person visit will result in a free search. If their records aren't computerised, staff will have to search through hand written ledgers to find potential entries. 

Although the Dignity Group now manage the crematorium at Northampton, they didn't when the crematorium opened in 1939.

Crematoria are still processing high numbers of funerals with reduced staff levels. They are dealing day to day with recently bereaved families and family history requests were never part of their remit although some can deal with requests more easily than others.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea