Author Topic: Susannah Oxspring, born approx 1758  (Read 411 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Susannah Oxspring, born approx 1758
« on: Saturday 17 July 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I am currently researching my 5x great grandmother Susannah Oxspring. Even though I have found her marriage, husband and children, I cannot find her baptism record, parents or siblings.

She married John Hammerton (1753-1837, a butcher) in Rotherham, Yorkshire on 29th November 1779. They are said to both be single, and both be of the parish.
They had many children together;
- Ann (b.1780)
- George (b.1783)
- John (b.1784)
- Richard (b.1787)
- Stephen (1789-1798)
- Thomas (1791-1791)
- William (b.1791)
- Thomas (b.1793)
- Mary (b.1795)
- Richard (b.1797)
- Elizabeth 'Betty' (b.1798)

Susannah died in April 1831, and is buried at Greasbrough, Yorkshire; 'Susan HAMMERTON, 73 (approx birth date 1758), of Eastwood'.

I cannot find any birth records for her, so I wondered if her maiden name was not Oxspring, and Oxspring was instead a married name. Despite this, I cannot find any marriages for a Susannah to a man with the surname Oxspring in the 10 years before her marriage (I presumed, with so many children, that a previous marriage can't have been that long before her marriage to John Hammerton).

Thank you for any help you can offer,
Holly

EDIT: I have just realised that I posted about this 4 years ago. Someone on that post pointed me to the Genuki registers, at Greasbrough. I have searched the 1747-1759 and 1760-1769 baptism registers at Greasbrough, and there are no baptisms of any Oxsprings there, only Oxley's.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Oxspring, born approx 1758
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
I looked at your post last week and got nowhere, however following another look I found the name origin below.

Oxspring is a surname of English origin, possibly derived from Oxspring, a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley in South Yorkshire.

That led me to the information below, a bit of a long shot maybe?

Freereg record, father George, abode Oxspring.

Susannah PASHLEY   Baptism   25 May 1760   Yorkshire, West Riding   Penistone : St John the Baptist : Parish Register

Parents of  above?
Jemima SMITHGeorge PASLEY   Marriage   16 Dec 1759   Yorkshire, West Riding   Penistone : St John the Baptist : Parish Register

There were no other records for this family on freereg but there are more children on family search.

I cannot find a marriage or death for Susannah PASHLEY, it might be worth a look?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah Oxspring, born approx 1758
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
My gut tells me she may be the Daug of Richard OXSPRING/Eliz PARKINSON who married 30 Jan 1744/5, All Saints, Rotherham

Having said that I cant see any children to them ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)