Author Topic: Brompton cemetery private grave reference numbers  (Read 2344 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brompton cemetery private grave reference numbers
« on: Sunday 18 July 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have several ancestors buried in the Brompton cemetery. I have specific grave references for 2 private graves. The first holds 6 people of whom 2 are ancestors (buried 1842 and 1843). Grave reference is AC 138.0 by 155.6. The Brompton pdf map showing the different quadrants by letter reference gives me the general location and the footnote explains how to use the numbers: starting in the N.E. corner the first figure is North to South and the second is East to West. But the note does not say what the numbers represent. If they are feet then 155.6 is a very precise figure and would make that location some 52 yards, which would place it in the next quadrant (AD).
The other (1859) ancestor's grave reference is aH 106.6 by 35.0, that is c.35 by 11.6 yards. This is quite a small quadrant.
If you use the Brompton site's grave locater on their map (a small red marker) then it puts both graves in entirely different, adjacent, quadrants not the ones given above.
Much of the cemetery is now untended and overgrown, which makes any search even more difficult.
Hopefully one of you has already come across (and solved?) this problem.